Spectator

BasicJim

I just found the podcast and website today. They were talking about flightfest and it turns out I am only a couple hours away.

Besides waking around and drooling, what is there for a spectator to do?

Thanks,

Jim

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Welcome to the FT Forum, BasicJim!

I think walking around and drooling would be plenty of fun. I don't think you will be bored for a second. Come on out and soak it all in.

Have you flown before? Have you built with foam before? Do you like to chat with RC airplane /quad folks?

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
It's worth going even if you don't spend the night or fly (although that would be much more fun). I'm going as a spectator again (conflicting schedules). Try not to miss the build tent activities and the air battles. Aside from that, the vendor food was good and the RC vendors will have everything you could ever think of purchasing plus some of they guys are bringing things to sell. If you can, grab your AMA license and bring something or build/buy something to fly (not sure if registration is closed though). A side benefit that I never expected last year was being able to see how different people go about building their airplanes. I learned a lot just looking at them. It's great fun and great people.

crash bandicoot

I took a shade tent and kind of tailgated behind one of the flight lines last year. I was flying, so people would stop by and check out my planes and chat. You won't get bored I promise! There are quite a few vendor tents to go through as well, so take some money.

Like I said, I had a shade tent, a table to work on planes, and one to set out food and drink and just ate and chatted with my tent neighbors and other pilots. It's a really good time.

BasicJim

Welcome to the FT Forum, BasicJim!

I think walking around and drooling would be plenty of fun. I don't think you will be bored for a second. Come on out and soak it all in.

Have you flown before? Have you built with foam before? Do you like to chat with RC airplane /quad folks?

I have always been interested in fixed wing, but haven't been able to keep anything in the air for very long. I recently found quads and have been learning all I can. I have one right now, 2 more on order, and have started my first build.

I am really enthralled with FPV, particularly long-range FPV. I really like what the quadcopters are doing in long-range fpv but after watching a Skywalker with FPV and THIS video, I am tempted to look at fixed wing some more!

I think my 16 yo son and I may just make the drive.

shermanhartman

Balsa Splinter Generator
Just like everyone else said, you will not be bored, even if you come for the whole weekend. This year even more than last, because there is a ton more vendors this year, and i believe the AMA is even bring a simulator trailer out. There is plenty to do and get involved with.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I am really enthralled with FPV, particularly long-range FPV. I really like what the quadcopters are doing in long-range fpv but after watching a Skywalker with FPV and THIS video, I am tempted to look at fixed wing some more!

I wish the FAA would realize how we really want to use fpv. That video is a good example of the kind of shots you can get when you don't have to rely on line of sight only :(. Away from populations, it should be perfectly legal imo.