Starting a hobby shop

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
So, I thought about that for a while and I want to create a hobby shop.
I know it won't be easy, I don't expect it to be but I think it can work.
Im in a medium town (around 5000 peoples) but very well connected to other places and the nearest other shop is at least 30km away, I don't know how well it is since I never visited it however.
I could maybe have a very nice local in a very good spot but not 100% sure about this one.

I know it will be hard financially but my town only has pubs and stuff that are a necessity so im pretty sure they will like to have a hobby shop opening, however im not sure about the demand for hobby stuff around here, I do know a few peoples that did rc and control line back in the 90s and peoples that fly quads a few kilometers away.

Now if I want to open a hobby shop I will need stuff to sell, I was thinking about contacting Graupner, Eachine, Flysky and Turnigy. Not long ago I visited a hobby shop that was basically just a dude doing this in his basement during his free time and he was full of Graupner stuff so I guess it's not too hard to be a retailer, also Graupner has FT stuff so that's good.
I guess I would also need to sell static models, tools, materials and the like but that's not a problem. I was also told I could kinda turn it into a hackerspace so peoples can come and use my tools to work on their stuff, that's a pretty good idea I think but I need a shop big enough for that.

I still live with my grandparents so that wouldn't totally be jumping in a pool with no hope of return or whatever the expression is and I think I can get some help from my familly with the paperwork at least.

So that's all I can think of for now, if you have tips or suggestion I will gladly take them, please just don't tell me it's impossible because im determined to do that.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
It will be hard because of the Online Stores. The Online Stores will be your hardest competitors.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well I don't know of any physical store that doesn't have an online shop either, I guess the bigger advantage is that peoples won't have to wait 3 weeks to get stuff. Also I often found obscure stuff in hobby shops that just don't exist anywhere else like they just appeared there and the huy was just like "well ok"

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I admire your ambition but your location if as stated is not ideal for a hobby shop in the traditional sense. From my own research, (starting my own business here), a local community of drinkers already has a hobby - drinking! Yes you will get some local interest but not enough to keep the doors open for long.

A traditional hobby shop, (if it can be called traditional), carries stock of a wide variety of items normally in the thousands and that burns through capital very quickly. Turn over is generally slow and so margins, and prices, need to be high. This requirement to carry stock and have a store front is the reason that most hobby shops eventually go bankrupt without some other method of generating turnover.

A web store is compulsory in the modern environment but the remoteness of the customer base does cause its own problems including misunderstandings and distrust so the whole scenario is really for the brave.

Having said that there are quite a few exciting gaps in the market which can be filled from any location and have the ability to generate businesses requiring a number of employees in key locations globally. With a website/web-store the business can be in direct competition with multinationals or other well known companies. As part of my research I looked into the whole internet aspect of a modern business and found a way to utilize the plethora of websites to my and my businesses' advantage.

If you wish to discuss what my research has identified and the products or devices for RC aircraft yet to be made and sold just PM as I do not want to feed the Multinationals who actually pay staff to cruise the internet looking for new information and products to steal and manufacture.

Have fun!