Sunnysky Motors

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
My Sunnysky motor order finally arrived today and, WOW I am impressed with these little beauties. They are going on my Titan tricopter but after seeing these I'll be buying some more for my Bat Bone and will be using the NTM's for door stops along with all the earlier Hobbyking motors I have bought recently. Why is no one on here using them? I'm guessing it's a combination of the inexperienced are just using what the others have and some don't want to pay extra for them. Well I looked at the overall cost and it's not true. Let's compare the NTM motors which used widely on multirotors (possibly because David uses them?).

An NTM here (that I have) is around $17 while the similar sized Sunnysky is around $28. But remember you need to get the accessory pack for the NTM for $2. Two of the four NTM's came with dead bearings brand new and the others have shat themselves in only a couple of hours of flight. Good quality replacement bearings here are $5 each (two for each motor). Finally I got my Sunnysky's free postage and the NTM's cost $10 postage if you don't have to order anything else from Hobbyking. So for around the same overall price you get all these benefits.
-Much better quality build and windings than the NTM's (the NTM's windings are cr&p)
-Top quality bearings that are known to last for ages (the NTM's don't even last the postage flight!!!)
-Balanced almost perfectly from the box (the NTM's are absolutely hopelessly out of balance from the box)
-Spacer bushes on the shaft to stop slop (the NTM's have none and this is one reason why they are noisy)
-Decent quality X mounts (the NTM's are only useful in bin)

I highly recommend checking them out guys. They are quite cool!!

eagle4

I got some sunny skies on my quad, I bought it 2nd hand and it already had them. I had not heard of this brand before, but I can agree, they are great motors. Nice and smooth running :)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have heard allot of good things about Sunnysky from other MR flyers at the Dix field I fly at occasionally.

Are they the 2212 980kVs? They seem to be very popular.

trigger

I had a look at Sunnysky motors after reading your post, and found the X2208S-1260KV, which seems to have similar specs to the NTM 28-26 1200kv. At least with 8 or 9 inches props ; the sunnyskies don't look like they can handle more.

I may order some and mount them on my BatBone (just received it, haven't start building yet). I already have a set of NTM, but I can use them on foamies (got myself a Baby Blender and a FT Cruiser).

Also, first post on FT forum...Gotta start somewhere :)

crlock

finally! at one point i got tired of ranting about how bad the ntm were, i bought six , out of the box two came with bad bearings, and i don't mean bad like "ah well at least it spins, let's give it a try" i mean "What the f#$ck? is it stuck?'" the third gave up mid flight... against all logic i spent almost 80 dollars on good quality bearings (boca bearings are the best) and i managed to save my cheap pieces of shit motors, next issue was the unbalanced cans... ohh good lord.... those things are as unbalanced as they can be... finally after a good 2 to 3 hours i managed to get rid of some of the vibrations. Not all of it.
short story, i heard about the sunnysky motors and decided to dive in, so i bought them and right out of the box they feell rock solid, nice smooth spinning, silent as ninjas and most important almost no vibration at all :) I have not installed them yet, i'm waiting on some more parts.

On a side note Stay away from the MULTISTAR carbon fiber props from hobbyking i bought them because i thougt, "hmm carbon fiber props, they have to be super balanced...." i could not be more wrong. Those things are a nightmare to balance.
I have heard good things about the t-motor props and motors, i think i'll spend the extra cash on them next time, any of you have used that brand?

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Im on my second set of the sunnysky x series motors. I get mine from Buddyrc.com I have the 1400kn and the 980kv. I love them. no more set screws to come undone, a little loctite and everything stays together nicely

trigger

I have heard good things about the t-motor props and motors, i think i'll spend the extra cash on them next time, any of you have used that brand?
Tiger and Hacker motors are the two brands that I see recommended pretty much every time for high-end multi-rotors.

I've been looking at acro builds lately, and Warthox seems to use Tigers exclusively now.
They are expensive though. Twice the price of equivalent Sunnysky ones.
This guy uses Sunnysky though, apparently, and recommends them for the frame he designed/builds/sells. So there must be some truth to the fact that they are good motors :)

I already regret buying NTMs (it looks like I got a good batch though, but I have yet to thoroughly test them), and will definitely get some Sunnysky next.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yes Cyber, I have 980kv's for an FPV titan tri. I'll probably get the 1400kv for the acro bat bone and the 2300kv for the warpquad. Hobbyking's motor stuff is HOPELESS!!!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
WTF? How does he fly like that? I...?!??

Back to motors. Does anyone have input on Suppo motors? Some local guys suggested that brand to me.

I also thought about getting motors from a German (support local! - even though they probably build/buy them in China anyway) company called "Simprop" which are supposed to be nice too, but I wasn't able to find one with nice multirotor specs in my hobbyshop...

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Three things to look out for when getting a motor Balu.
Firstly (not so important) is build quality of the motors and accessories. Quality of the windings and so forth.

Secondly the use of good bearings. The Chinese just don't make good bearings. The good ones come from Japan. Bad bearings can seize the motor, make it run bad and loudly and can cause vibrations.

Lastly the balancing of the motor. The cheap stuff is usually horribly out of balance. It can be quite hard to balance these things yourself because they are soo far out. The Good quality motors come pre-dynamically balanced and this makes a huge difference on a multirotor. Sunnysky and T-Motor do this.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I got the 980kv motors from a place off ebay based in South Australia. I've bought one of Soma's warpquads and he will be stocking the 2300kv's when his order arrives. Chinese new year is still haunting us.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
My biggest problem probably is not having any experience yet. Without reference points it's hard to tell if something is good or bad. That's something I'll have to learn.

I know a few guys at a local hackerspace who fly the Suppo motors, so they might be ok.

But who knows... Paying twice is part of the experience I guess ;).

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
You will more than likely buy another set of motors after you learn and decide you want more power or do something different like acro or lifting FPV so maybe cheap hobbyking is the way to go first up as you learn and then once you gain experience you can pick something better.

My only suggestion that would always hold true is don't buy a motor that has prop collet attached to a shaft like the park 300 motors. In a crash they will always bend. If you buy a motor with a prop mount direct off the can (like the short shaft NTM's) you'll hardly ever damage the motor unless you go full tilt into concrete but even then if the motor is mounted with zipties it will still survive. Ask me how I know ;-)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
If you use collets, make SURE you wipe the shaft with alcohol to remove any oils from your hands or if you oiled the bearings, etc.

I use collets on my 2830/8 1300kv motors and they are only clamping about 5mm of shaft, and have yet to have one come off or even slip. After mounting, I have the base of the collet flush with the bell. . . on an impact the shaft takes very little load.

Before cutting them down.

20140316_165802.jpg

After

20140317_202502.jpg

crlock

you beat me to it xuzume, :( that video illustrate how awfull are the balance problems on the ntm motors, even after balancing, you get that horrific vibration you see in the video. Just listen how quiet the sunnysky are, sexy.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yeah, I'm almost ashamed to admit I've been suggesting the NTM's to people. Granted, they DO work and with just a tiny bit of care they DO last. I've never had a bearing let go on any of mine, but I do take the time to put a decent lube on them before I fly them. Needless to say, I doubt I'll be buying NTM's anymore for multi's.