Tail Gear Repair Help

jack10525

I've got a Dynam primo cub from Grayson Hobbies. The plane flies great it's just the landings that suck. Well I've had many hard landings and the tail gear has finally broken off. I don't necessary like the design. A little to fragile for my caveman like flying skills. I am trying to figure out a new way to attached a tail wheel. The original gear mounted on the bottom and tied in to the rudder. Since I broke off the gear I added a nylon hinge to the rudder for reinforcement. Now I have no choice but the figure out a new tail wheel set up. Anybody got suggestions?

Gazoo

Here is what I did using a wire staple I had laying around. It makes a pretty good tailwheel. The idea is to get the pivot point of the tailwheel under the rudder hinge.

A wire staple. You can get a big bag from Home Depot or something pretty cheap. Otherwise find a doohicky just laying around and modify.
staple.JPG

Here is how I set it up. The circular part is where I coiled the wire to make a spring. You can just as easy leave the coil out and make a bend.
Tail Wheel.jpg

Don't know if it helps you out but might give you an idea.

Gazoo

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I used two pieces of 1/8" aircraft ply glued together and shaped like the last 1.5" of the lower fuselage and a piece of wire like Gazoo's gear only my wheel is behind the mount and I bent the rudder mount over (to double it). The vertical hole for the wire is inline with the pivot point of the rudder. The plywood mount is glued to the lower fuselage and the wire is glue to the rudder with hot glue on my cub but you could use epoxy too.