Taught a Friend/Co-worker to fly.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
A coworker/friend got a Super Cub DSM (not sure how this differs from the LP). as a gift and said he hasn't had a successful flight with it. I would say that I offered to help him with it, but that would be a lie. I told him I would get him flying and kept proposing times until we met to fly this afternoon.

I had never flow the SC DSM and truthfully he didn't know what model he had so I couldn't research it ahead of time. This is a pre-SAFE model that has ACT. We had trouble getting the gear to fully seat, but other than that the plane looked to be in great shape despite several crashes.

Using his old, 2-pos switch DX4e I launched the plane to get a feel for it. The plane flew nicely but likes a bit of throttle. It is 3 channel but requires elevator on the turns to keep altitude. After a quick flight and finding nothing in need of trimming I landed and got my DX4e to buddy box.

The first few attempts had the plane spiraling towards the farm field quickly. I would recover and the same thing would happen. I decided to explain that "pull up" meant to push down on the elevator "up goes down and down goes up". I also told him he was hitting the sticks too hard "make the smallest adjustment that will get the plane to do what you want". I told him I rarely used more than 1/8th of the throws. After that he quickly got the hang of it and was cruising around with minimal intervention.

Next, I handed him my DX6i, grabbed my Sport Cub and tossed it into the air. I think he was surprised I let him fly my plane unassisted. He did a great job but let me land it. Next, I grabbed my Delta Ray and showed him some loops, rolls, Immelman's and inverted flying. I finally found someone that was impressed with my flying (or at least the planes). I switched to Noob mode and let him fly it for a bit.

He seemed very happy at the end of the evening, having had several successful flights. He was very impressed with the Sport Cub S.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks, Harley.

NRM, that means a lot coming from a pilot as good yourself. I am still more Josh Scott than Josh Bixler but I am growing (as is Josh S).

Grauwulf

That's fantastic that you spent the time and effort to teach a friend to fly! I will make one suggestion with his Super Cub, disable the ACT system immediately, it's nicknamed the 'Auto Crash Technology' for a reason. There are a few mandatory upgrades that he may want to do to it too, like reinforcing the battery box/landing gear mounts, larger wheels and reinforcing the back of the wing saddle.

SkyEye

I have been teaching my brother to fly the Champ and he rocks it. He's a uncoordinated with it considering he doesn't fly much but he love's flying the simulator.

Grauwulf

No problem! Absolutely happy to help! I enjoy the daylights out of my SuperCub when I get to fly, it and my Bloody Wonder are my two favorite planes to fly right now.