teaching flight

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Tips and methodologies are widely available and it seems that everyone has their own procedures.

The greatest tip is patience! Some learn to fly quickly and others seem overwhelmed so be patient and always discuss or describe what you are teaching them and want them to attempt clearly and calmly. Also never assume they know or understand what you are saying as some seem to be able to either operate a remote control transmitter or listen to what you are saying and NOT both.

From my experience in helping others to actually learn to fly the first step is to ensure that the trainer aircraft is an appropriate design and the second step is to ensure the setup is conservative with lots of Expo. Spend time going through their Transmitter setup with them and it will save lots of repairs and dollars.

You would be surprised the number of people who claim the ability to fly who do not know how to setup their aircraft. Had one chap at my club who always took home more pieces than he brought to the field. I eventually stepped in and went through his setup and found that he "Guessed" the throws based upon what he saw other pilots using and he did not use Expo because he did not understand it.

With some setup and take off/landing procedure advice he now has reduced his crashes to very infrequent and normally due to weather or obstacle incursions.

I have a few documents for various aspects of flight training including a beginners guide to maidens just let me know what it is you require and I will see if I have a document to suit.

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
There's a LOT to consider...It's easy to get someone up in the air and hand the controls over to them, let them fly the plane level at first...It's almost easier if you have a buddy box/wireless trainer setup going to help them, and know when to take over if needed.

One of the biggest things that people have problems with is when the airplane is coming towards/past them, and they have to make the mental adjustment of "right is left, left is right" - I see a LOT of people initially struggle with that. One of the easiest ways around that is to set up an airframe where there's no wing attached, just the receiver, fuselage, battery, etc. that will run without flying. Have them taxi up and down the street/driveway/field, until they feel comfortable with left vs right when going away and coming towards them, before they fly and add up and down into the mix...

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Most peoples I taught already knew how a plane is supposed to work, if they don't then some sim time is good and buddy boxing too. Then it's just patience.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hello vtol,
I assumed too much once thinking the basics should be evident enough. I was wrong. To some poushing the stick up will make the aircraft go up. To prevent further übershort flights I now show how the pitch and roll controls push the aircraft into position.

With any teaching there is a challenge zone you will need to stay in. If challenged to little people become bored and if too much they become discouraged. Each person has his own zone where he will do well. It is up to you to "read" your student assessing his knowledge and abilities and then putting him into his zone. As you do this look for ways to assist his success to that you will be ready to manage the zone.

Do you have someone in particular you would like to teach? If so, what are his/her knowledge, skills, and interest with flying?

I see you are new to posting in our forum.How about sharing about yourself a bit. Where in the world do you fly? What is your interest in the hobby? How long have you been interested in the hobby.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I think the main thing is the airplane. Can't beat a glider. After doing a little hanger flying:

If you can get on a slope great! If not, try a 3 channel, trainer type motor-glider. Preferably on a steady 10 mph wind day. The wind will minimize ground speed. Get the glider trimmed for minimum altitude maintaining, level flight. Into the wind, turn it over to the student at about 2 mistakes high.

Master level flight. That's it. Don't worry about turns until the student is ready. Don't move on until level flight is mastered. Rescue the student immediately from any mishap. Don't worry about recovery until level flight is mastered. The easy to fly motor glider is the quickest way I think. Liberal amounts of simulator can help also.

Last edited: