Thank You from Diana Furey

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Dear Flite Test community and attenders of Flite Fest 2014,

My husband said it very well at the live podcast on Saturday evening, but I also wanted to share with you from the woman of the house’s point of view.

From the moment we knew it was decided upon to use our property as the venue for Flite Fest 2014, I was very excited! I watched, with excitement, the huge response to the Kickstarter, which gave us all a hint something very special was going to happen July 25th-27th. Like John, I love it when the Flite Test guys come down and shoot their episodes. I’ve become like a groupie who drops everything to come and gawk, and even follow them around a bit when they go to a different location in the town. I love to hear their laughter (Josh!), watch them pull together all the technical stuff, and then the flying, oh the flying!! I am a private pilot as well as my husband; but I did not keep my currency after our first child was born. But I do love flight and I know that flying from the ground is likely the way that I can enjoy piloting once again.

On Wednesday prior to Flite Fest, I came home from the grocery store with campers already on the property and they were so courteous! It was very exciting and it became even more so as added campers filtered in over the next hours and days. Even then, we were getting very clear glimpses of how special the Flite Test community is. Thursday evening was a blur of activity as we watched the volunteers, Flite Test guys, and even more pilots kick off all the excitement that was to come the next morning.

Those of you who attended Flite Fest 2014 know the rest of the story…it was just amazing and very difficult to adequately put into words. Before we all knew it, it was over. It was an exhausting, exhilarating, fulfilling, encouraging, and amazing weekend experience! Your friendliness, politeness, respect, courteousness, selflessness, and kindness to our family exceeded anything, and I do truly mean ANYTHING, I have ever seen. I felt like I came to know you and Flite Test, and your relationship with each other in a way I could not have had I not been part of this adventure with you.

I want to thank you for the way you left our property. There was hardly even a scrap of litter left to show that you were here! How does that happen? During Flite Fest, I never saw any ill manners, or impatience, or anything else that can be so common among a group of people as large as you were. I loved how you came to the café area and talked with us and shared your stories. I miss you all already.

Words truly cannot express how I feel about this experience with you this past weekend. I hope my family and I left you with even half of the blessings you left us with.

Thank you for coming, for being so wonderful, and for sharing that part of your lives with us. God bless you.

Most Sincerely,

Diana Furey

earthsciteach

Mrs Furey,

Thank YOU and your family for being such gracious hosts! By allowing Flite Fest to take place on your property, you enabled a huge group of people who would call each other friends, without most having met in person, to actually get together and solidify those friendships. Many new friends were made, as well. I think the atmosphere of the event was as amazing as it was due to this being a homecoming for folks. Your part in making that happen is substantial and there is a huge amount if gratitude for that.

On top of opening your home to 1500 to 2000 people, you guys never stopped! Mr. Furey was constantly emptying trash and running here and there for any number of reasons. Every time I walked past the concession stand at the barn, you were working, along with other family members. I even spent some time tossing a glider back and forth with one of your grandsons which was the most fun I had working parking on Thursday. Ha ha! By the way, I said this in person, but it bears repeating; your pulled pork is amazing! I've been thinking of hitting you up for the recipe on Facebook. :D

On top of all of that, Austin was kind enough to allow Asbjorn and me sleep in the hangar after my canopy took flight, ripping the flies off our tents and soaking everything inside. So, again, thank you and your wonderful family for being so generous. You guys made a special event even more special because of the people you are. We need more people like your family in the world.

I hope to see you and Mr. Furey at the next Flite Fest, regardless of where it takes place!

Most sincerely,
Patrick Murphy

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Mrs. Furey,

With you and your husbands kindness, it makes me think there is still hope for this world! I arrived on Thursday and everyone was just so gracious and helpful.

I saw saw you and your family work so hard to make this event a success, and with everything on your property, I was a little worried about what state the property may end up in. Then, like myself, I saw that all of the Flitetest visitors making sure the grounds were as taken care of as possible, even after the Saturday night rain!

I would like to thank you and your whole family for your hospitality during this event. May you all be blessed and I hope to see you all for sure at the next one no matter where it takes place.

Again, THANK YOU to the whole Furey family!!!

Sincerly,

Mike Finley

Mrs Furey,

First off, thank you, thank you, thank you, for taking a chance at having this at your place!

I cannot help but wonder "would Flite Fest have been so great at a public site?" Like themajik1 said, he was sincerely worrtied about what might happen to your property through all this. I felt the same way. How much of that concern set the tone for Flite Fest? By the end of the weekend, I really DID feel like I was just a buddy at a sleepover.

This was the first annual Flite Fest. If it ever outgrows your property, the first one at Furey Field will always be the stuff of legend. My buddies and I drove over from Missouri to make sure we didn't miss it. And thanks to you and your family, the bar has been set for what kind of behavior we should expect at al Flite Fests from here on out. And I truly believe if it had started at a park or some municipal site, it just wouldn't have been the same.

1- I was the guy who yelled "Good morning Mrs. Furey Sunday morning. That what my son's friends do when they stay over. LOL!
2- As the woman of the site, I feel I better let you know, the porta-potty over by the driveway... I did NOT leave the seat up!

Sincerely,
Tim McMahan

Splatwillicrash

Dear Mrs Furey,

As one of those you saw Wednesday I can not say in a thousand words (and everybody on the forums know I am capable of that at the drop of a hat) the gratitude we have for you opening your home, and in fact your very lives to the Flite Test community. You and John speak of the joy you have watching the FT crew film and fly, and we hope you will both soon join us in the skies, and learn first hand what you have suspected, that the fun we are having is real, the joy on our faces is real, and the best part of Flite Test is indeed the feeling we get flying with friends and family.

It is funny, you both paint yourselves as sort of observers, and maybe in the past that might have been accurate, but there is not a person who was at Flite Fest who would argue that you and John are not every bit as much of the Flite Test Team as anybody who is regularly on the show. YOU ARE FLITE TEST. Both of you once again reaffirmed what it is to be part of the FT community for all of us, and that the FT crew themselves are not an anomaly, but an example of what I think we all seek in the show. Helpful, fun, caring people who are generous with their time, and their love.

This trip reminded me of what it was I so loved about my time with family in the Midwest, (my family came from Kansas and PA farms) and I truly miss the the down to earth, "salt of the earth and shirt off your back" kindness and generosity that is the very foundation of the much of the country. Your and Johns' "can do" spirit and tireless efforts were a reminder of who we all would like to be like, and hopefully at least in my case, can learn to emulate.

My take away memories, beyond the fun, the camaraderie, (the storm), and all the smiles on peoples face, will be how two people opened their hearts and their home to a thousand people they did not know, and proceeded to touch the hearts of each and every one of them. I feel blessed to have met both of you. May god bless you. Austin is a very lucky man to have parents like you, as are we all.

I look forward to pulling down that tree lined drive next year, where a handshake and a hug will melt away the miles traveled, to be part of something that I can not put into words, but wouldn't miss for the world.

Sincerely yours,

Matthew Elyash

P.S. Hey FRED, where is the volunteer signup Thread for Flite Fest 2015? I wanna be on the first page.....

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hello Diana,

I feel the same sentiments from everyone here who have already spoken of being most grateful, having been so welcomed, to encamp at your home for a few days. I marveled at how gracious your entire family was, and thought my last lunch, before hitting the road, at the Furey Barn Cafe was the best way to top off such an amazing weekend. Thank you, and your family for welcoming us all in and making for a memorable and rewarding experience!

Best,
Dave Mak

rifted

Dear Mrs Furey,

I flew up there from Mexico and drop in for an hr or so on Thursday immediately after dropping some goodies for the guys at HQ, after following the GPS instructions and arriving at the event, parking the car and the first thing I saw was the flags of all the countries that where visiting. I WAS BLOWN AWAY! (later on learning it was your idea).

It was the first massive event I have ever assisted and immediately felt welcomed. The very next day Friday driving back to Flite Fest and meeting you all was one of the best experiences I have ever being part off. I carry some stuff to fly at the event and only flew once on Sunday and truly I did not mind why you might ask? Well the answer is simple I had so much joy talking to every one and building relationships that I cant believe it was over! Plus making sure that all the trash was on its proper bins! lol

I'm so great full all the attendees respected each other and your property that I cant believe such massive success on the first event. Talking to you and Mr Furey was a blast, plus Sunday drying up the airplane with the help of Peter for Mr Furey was great! (hope it was a good job lol)

Again thanks so much for such welcoming and making us all feel like home.

Ed Christlieb.
PS: Hope Austin brought you my little gift from Mexico!

Mrs. Furey:

First let me say again, as many others have, Your generosity, and courage, in opening your home to so many people, trusting that it would be all right humbles me.

My son and I recently found a renewed connection in the RC hobby thanks to FliteTest, the YouTube show captured his imagination and it rekindled his dormant interest in building from scratch. The minute that FliteFest was announced, we were committed to go. The idea of just the two of us, spending the weekend of his seventeenth birthday together, doing RC just seemed too good to pass up.

Thanks to you, your family, the FliteTest crew, and a small army of volunteers, FliteFest 2014 was not just a good time: it was our first RC event, and one of the best weekends we have ever spent with each other. I found myself getting emotional on Saturday evening knowing that we only had another 1/2 day or so to enjoy before we would pack up to go. Even now, typing this, I'm feeling satisfied to have been there and sad that FliteFest 2015 is a whole year away. We Can't wait! I'm hoping I can get my daughter and my older son flying so that we can share the feeling with them too.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. The time we spent together was more important than you can know.

DG