The flite test ww1 buddy planes.

Poor Man FPV

Hey guys and gals .
Hope I'm posting in the right section as I've only really used the video forum posting some of my fpv drone footage.

I'm interested in these ww1 planes. I've never flown a plane. I've never built a plane and I've never flown anything not fpv.

First question is how hard would it be to make these planes fpv.
As in do they even have a flight controller or pdb to run this type of plane?

2nd question is is this a good starter plane?
I've flown fpv drones for a little over a year and have several sponsors my flying capabilities are great for mini quads but I'd be nervous flying a plane if it's not fpv. So I'm taking this as I'm brand new .
3rd question is is there a guide to building these.
What if I use one of my high kv motors from my quads. What kind of speed control to use.. why 3s ? I ve been flying 4s forever on smaller rigs.
4th question is when I select the planes in the store it gives me options for f power pack a prop wheels and 850mah 3s 20c battery
Does that come with eno ugh stuff to fully build the 2 planes or just one?
Sorry if it's a noob thread but I really want to build these planes . I just think the old school ww1 planes are the coolest ever.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

-Josh

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
The Foam Board Plane Deep End

Hey guys and gals .
Hope I'm posting in the right section as I've only really used the video forum posting some of my fpv drone footage.

I'm interested in these ww1 planes. I've never flown a plane. I've never built a plane and I've never flown anything not fpv.

First question is how hard would it be to make these planes fpv.
As in do they even have a flight controller or pdb to run this type of plane?

2nd question is is this a good starter plane?
I've flown fpv drones for a little over a year and have several sponsors my flying capabilities are great for mini quads but I'd be nervous flying a plane if it's not fpv. So I'm taking this as I'm brand new .
3rd question is is there a guide to building these.
What if I use one of my high kv motors from my quads. What kind of speed control to use.. why 3s ? I ve been flying 4s forever on smaller rigs.
4th question is when I select the planes in the store it gives me options for f power pack a prop wheels and 850mah 3s 20c battery
Does that come with eno ugh stuff to fully build the 2 planes or just one?
Sorry if it's a noob thread but I really want to build these planes . I just think the old school ww1 planes are the coolest ever.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

-Josh

Glad to hear you are interesting in delving into planes.:applause:

This forum and community are incredibly supportive, so you've come to the right place. Surf around FT Videos and Article posts. Specifically on plane you see in the FT store.

A great place to start with most of your question is to check out the FT Beginner series.

1. Planes Power systems are much electrically Simpler than Quads. Motor to ESC (with BEC) hooked to battery and Receiver. That's it. All planes *can* be set up with FPV. Consider how flight Test gets so much of their on-board footage, and note how often they are flying with goggles. I solder on a Female JR connector to the power cable of the AIO camera and plug it into an unused channel on my 6 ch receiver, mount the camera then I'm good to go. As with Quads, many people suggest to start Line of Sight, so that when something goes wrong, you can rip the goggles off and bring it home safely with confidence. It also helps when flying at club fields too. (if you go in for that kinda thing.)

Flite Test : RC Planes for Beginners: Power System RC PLanes

2. As for Planes there is a Beginner Series for that Too Here on Choosing a Plane. Any High-wing Trainer Plane would be a good start. What I've seen recommended here are:
* FT Simple Cub
* FT Tiny Trainer
* FT Sparrow
* FT Storch
* FT Nutball, Flyer, or Delta
* FT Mini Arrow or Vector (simple controls, Easy to launch.)
* Bloody Baron / Bloody Brit

Check out the plans here

3. There is a Video build guide to nearly EVERY PLANE ON THE INDEX! :D It covers every step to the build. *EVERY STEP*. It's amazing. I urge you to find the starter plane you want to build, get your foam, find the video by looking up the plane name with "FT" and you'll be in business. I find the foam cutting and building of Planes relaxing. It puts me in a focused state, making the build process therapeutic.

4. When you select a plane in the store, there are options for you to get the power system and any accessories you might want for the build. Adding the Power pack will get you all the components for engines and the control surface controls for most planes of that size. They don't always include a control rod. (I use landscaping flags from Lowe or HD (18", 0.60 dia. spring steel rods pack of 100 for $9)

ExampleStorch.png ExamplePPB.png
You want to learn more about flying FT planes? -> Shameless Card Game Plug

Flight Controllers for Planes. It's usable and helpful for beginners to stabilize flight. but that's few more steps to getting going. Find a 6 ch receiver unit for your radio (it may have come with one which you ditched for a sBus or ibus light-weight receiver and using that works even easier. (no betaflight setup and mounting )

Now I know there is a little bias here on my part with the FC and FPV. I fly both planes and quads, both poorly, but I find the plane building much more fun and rewarding compared to quads. It's also more fun to watch your finished plane fly through the air at the field/park. But I LOVE FPV and am a better FPV pilot. (as I grew up in the Video Game Generation.) Ultimately you'll try it and fing out which you like best.

Once you get the hang of it, there are a number of WWI and WWII warbird planes that are fun to build, a joy to fly, and can rip through the air at frightening speeds (120mph).

God Speed, and Good Luck to you! :D

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hey Josh,

Most of the FT builds are pretty straight forward. A little practice cutting and gluing the foam and you will be a pro in no time. Starting with a pre cut kit is a good way to learn. However.... Warbirds are typically not the best things to learn on. They are like a quads, pretty twitchy and sensitive to speed.

I know you have great dexterity with your skills as a freestyle pilot so controlling a fixed wing won't be an issue once you get a few flights under your belt. The best thing to start with on fixed wing is a high wing slower plane like the Tiny Trainer or the new Simple Cub. You could probably fly the SE 5 to start as bi planes are pretty floaty if you really wanna just dive in. I got the same kit when I was at FFE and have built my SE 5. I have not flown it however as I have burned two servos trying to set up the electronics and have not had to ambition to go back and troubleshoot why much past a little reading. I am pretty sure when I moved the rudder channel from left stick to right stick I did not reassign the channel and when I plugged in the stuff and turned it on it pegged the servos immediately and burned them out.

The kits come out beautiful if you take your time. Just remember not to go super heavy with glue. As for all FT planes there is always a build and set up video you can follow step by step with so the build part will be no problem if you can build quads as neat as you do. Just pay close attention to the set up for throws on the control surfaces.

This is what mine looks like after the build .

Right angled.jpg

Left side.jpg

I just previewed this post and see FoamyDM gave a lot of info already so I will stop here..all should be covered .

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Mine looked great up until the point my buddy passed me control...
Frenemies.jpg

The building is the easy part for me....

Must...

Plank....

More.....

Cheers!
LitterBug

Poor Man FPV

Wow guys thanks so much for the information. Btw your planes look awesome. I will take a look at some of the recommended starter planes but my hearts set on these ww1 planes soooooooooooo haha. I will Def check out the links and watch how to videos.
Psyborg revisit the build bud...I wanna see you fly it.