Tiny Trainer (stick version)

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
This is a great idea! Balsa, basswood, CF rod - all great options as fuselage alternatives. Very durable and quick/easy to throw together!

91shadowrider

Great Idea! I love my slowstick. It is over 10 years old and still flying. I will have to build one or two of these for my kids. I will probably use a hard wood fuse and a hobbyking motormount that you can bend to adjust the motor angle. I think they fit a 10 mm square rod. It fits whatever the stock slowstick used for a fuse. Then you could bend up some landing gear identical to the slow stick and zip tie them on.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Awesome. I was going to do that with the FT Old Fogey. (Just so I can have a slow stick without trying to figure out the wings or tail.) But this might be even better.

wbvike

I haven't checked youube yet, but anyone on here have any vids of flying one of these slowstick designs?

wbvike

I finished it with my sons help as well. I just need to get some more weight on the nose, as it's a bit tail heavy. I used the same CG marks that are on the regular tiny trainer. Also since you mentioned the right thrust angle issue, I decided to build the power pod and glued it to the balsa wood so it would have the normal thrust angle. Here are some pics
stick verion3.JPG
stick version1.JPG
stick version2.JPG
stick version4.JPG
stick version5.JPG

Last edited:

wbvike

Maiden didn't go so well.... I had to add weight to the nose and it even though it was finally nose heavy, i don't think it was enough. throttle up, tossed it in the air and it wanted to climb. I backed throttle off, tried to nose down a bit and then she started turning to the right with no input from me. I tried to turn left to avoid a tree and nothing, no response except still slightly going to the right. At this point i had to get it on the ground because there were other objects it would eventually hit. my mistake was cutting the throttle completely thinking i could glide it using the elevon, problem was that i didn't have the speed need and when i cut the throttle it dropped nose first onto the pavement. Only damage was the prop broke, but i was surprised because it took a pretty good nose first shot into the ground. Turns out the screw on the linkage stopper for the rudder was loose and the servo rod was not moving much causing no response when trying to turn. I fixed it and will see if i can get another maiden in today, weather permitting.

jobobeda

Old and in the way!
Slow Stick Tiny Trainer right torque and tail heavy problems

Hi,

My Tiny Trainer required some down-ward thrust to be added to the motor mount to take care of the tail heavy problem. I "modified" the motor mount to get almost as much down thrust angle as the normal right angle thrust built into the stock FliteTest motor mount. I'm using a ZMR 1806 heli motor which on a 3 cell develops a lot of torque. I'm going to build a "stick version" using a carbon fiber arrow shaft I have sitting around waiting for the occasion. The Tiny trainer with the afforementioned ZMR is fast with the 3 cell and a 6x3 prop. I may go to a 5X3.
The Motor came from BangGood, FliteTest were out of stock on motors at the time. The 3 cell helped balance the tail heavy problem also.
Good luck flying,
jb

Datum

Ooooh classic trainer choice :)

I learned on a similar plane, but I based mine off of an Old Fogey's wing instead.

From what I remember, they tend to fly beautifully but are a touch fragile. Good news is that balsa breaks very cleanly and loves glue, so it's hard to actually totally kill one, but a hard landing can end your day more easily.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I'm going to try a build with a 10mmx10mm carbon fiber box tube. I'll put something similar to a mini power pod on the front that will be designed to be sacrificial in the case of a nose down crash. Not sure about the rest yet. I'm going to try and move the servos to be under the wing and use internal carbon fiber rods going to the tail. I have some 1mm rod that is flexible yet stiff enough for this plane. We'll see. It should be fun. The goal will be to make as much of the plane field reparable - assuming spares are brought - as possible. So, I'll try to mount the tail assembly so it can be easily replaced, etc.

Also, since the "tube" is hollow, I am going to try and route as much as possible inside so I have a nicer look.

Not sure about the battery. I'll probably construct most of it and see where the CG ends up. Then figure out a mounting system that places the battery where I need it.

I'm thinking for the tail: make a A fold three sided box with tabs that will go into the stabilizer. Slide over the box and use a dowel to pin in place like a power pod is done. When making extras, do not glue in the control horns. That will have to be done in the field unless I use some other connector there. Hmmm. Maybe I will use those servo connector things...

Also, I am going to solder servo extensions this time. I had a pair pull apart in a TT during a hard crash. This will save weight and make more space inside the tube. Should also be more reliable.

Mike

theflyingturk

i like gliders
is anyone still active in this thread? i got a tiny trainer speed build kit, and had a bit of a frustrating accident with the fuse, but i didn't put the wings together and the tail is still fine. i came across this thanks to a friend, and think i might build this as my first plane. can anyone give me some rough measurements on what goes where? thank you!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Just take the length of the foam fuselage and make a stick one around the same length. then, measure from the nose of the foam fuse to the wing and mark that distance on the stick fuse for the LE of your wing. volia! :D

theflyingturk

i like gliders
Just take the length of the foam fuselage and make a stick one around the same length. then, measure from the nose of the foam fuse to the wing and mark that distance on the stick fuse for the LE of your wing. volia! :D

thank you very much sir! looks like i might make a sparrow as well as that plane is VERY durable and easy to build.

jtrops

thank you very much sir! looks like i might make a sparrow as well as that plane is VERY durable and easy to build.

The Sparrow is everything you say (easy to build/durable), but it is not easy to fly. It is super fun once you get the hang of it though. If you are new to planes the Tiny Trainer is much more forgiving to fly.

I'm going to try a stick version of the TT, and use the whole front fuse. Ideally the wing, and the fuselage would both be moveable so i could really dial in the CG.

theflyingturk

i like gliders
The Sparrow is everything you say (easy to build/durable), but it is not easy to fly. It is super fun once you get the hang of it though. If you are new to planes the Tiny Trainer is much more forgiving to fly.

I'm going to try a stick version of the TT, and use the whole front fuse. Ideally the wing, and the fuselage would both be moveable so i could really dial in the CG.

id like to see that :). im going to skip the stick for now and mabye try to cut out the fuse, as i have all the other parts still not punched out from the speed build kit, but i dont know how well im going to do, or if it will be flyable..