Tiny Whoop (CrazyBee F4) one bad motor connection?

alisandar

Hi, I just got the TinyWhoop starter bundle all put together and finally binding to the RadioMaster T8 Lite after quite a bit of trouble. It all seems happy now, except for the front left motor (or rather the front left motor connection?). When first armed all the props seem to spin properly, but with any amount of throttle the front left one stop and starts and stop and start, clearly providing no meaningful thrust. I can get the drone to spin and slide around on the table or floor just fine, but without power from the front left can't get much else going. I swapped motor positions a couple of times, and it doesn't seem to be the motors themselves - whatever one I have front left exhibits the same behavior.

For max info, when initially attempting to bind the controlled seemed to get into an unrecoverable state, so I eventually ended up re-flashing with the hex file and loading the batch file via CLI, all via betaflight. As far as I can tell that has worked since before I did all those steps I couldn't even get the thing to bind. But figured I'd mention it anyway.

Any ideas on what I might test next? The connection itself and wiring all seems to be ok visually - i can't see any damage on the board or the socket that the motor wires seat into. Not sure what else to try.

Thanks!
Jeff

Bricks

Master member
What does your motor tab and receiver tab show? Does all the motors work when using the BetaFlight motors tab?.

alisandar

Screenshots of both attached. ESC was DSHOT300 when I first checked after noticing the issue, so I've tried 300 and 600 (just noting, I have no idea if that would effect anything). Just reread the second half of your question - I can't get any of the motors to spin using the motor tab sliders but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

EDIT: Added a third screenshot for my motor test attempt. None of the motors are spinning when I slide the sliders

EDIT2: Did a little research and realized I needed battery plugged in to get motors to spin. Motor 4 (front left) starts stuttering, stopping/starting above 1500 on the slider. All other motors don't seem to exhibit this behavior.

Attachments

• motors.JPG
    motors.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 0
  • receiver.JPG
    receiver.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 0
  • motor_test.JPG
    motor_test.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alisandar

Screenshots of both attached. ESC was DSHOT300 when I first checked after noticing the issue, so I've tried 300 and 600 (just noting, I have no idea if that would effect anything). Just reread the second half of your question - I can't get any of the motors to spin using the motor tab sliders but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

EDIT: Added a third screenshot for my motor test attempt. None of the motors are spinning when I slide the sliders

EDIT2: Did a little research and realized I needed battery plugged in to get motors to spin. Motor 4 (front left) starts stuttering, stopping/starting above 1500 on the slider. All other motors don't seem to exhibit this behavior.
Eddie from FT support reached out and is helping me through the issue.