Tomahawk cruise missile

Clement

Hello guys.

Was impressed with the recent firing of tomahawk cruise missiles from warships at sea which flew hundreds of miles to destroy their chemical weapons plant targets in syria with pin point accuracy. Was wandering if any one has ideas on how to build a flying model that looks similar to these missiles. I wonder how they are able to fly with such tiny wings. Awaiting your reply guys. Thanks.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cruise missiles have such short wings because they fly so fast and only require a small surface at those Mach1 + speeds for the various types.

Estes has a model kit out for the Aim 9 sidewinder missile that could easily be modded to be RC. You would have to have some serious room to fly it though as the speed required would be high not to mention orientation would be pretty much non existent and you would have to fly by motion with each stick input.

Cruise missiles have such short wings because they fly so fast and only require a small surface at those Mach1 + speeds for the various types.

I totaly agree with PsyBorg.
The best example for the speed-shortwing combination is the F104 Starfighter.
If you see a picture of one of those you will notice the extreme short wings caused by the extreme high speeds in which they normaly fly.

Great project idea by the way!
Jetcrafter2000

Clement

Thank you so much guys. I am planning to build the model styrofoam meat trays. Please I have some questions.
1. Where should the centre of gravity be, should it be directly under the wings?
2. What is the best way to join two pieces of styrofoam together to obtain a neat joint that doesnt affect airflow?
3. Its going to be a pusher prop design. Please with a motor about 1.5cm long, what is the appropriate diameter of the propeller and how long should the entire model be. Is there a relationship between motor size and size of the model?

Awaiting your responses guys. Please I'm new to this and have never built a flying model before. This is my first attempt so I'll really appreciate your responses to my questions.

Thank you once more.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You might want to start with a less agressive model not only to build but to fly. short wings and new pilots are p[robably not the best mix. specially with something that will have to be flown fast. I am more of a quad guy but have beuilt a few planes. Still have yet to fly a full pack with a fixed wing craft though. I know how hard it is to get started.

Some of the more experienced guys will chime in with help for this though for sure. They all like a good challenge too.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm with Psyborg. Fast planes and new pilot = foam salad in the making.

Clement, you may be a new member here but a long-toothed pilot, it's hard to tell. so forgive the advice should you happen to be a sabre-tooth pilot.

My 2cents suggestion is to build a simpler model or two and set this as a 6 month goal project. Either way this is a good place to ask around. good luck
There is a rocket challenge, in the user challenge forum

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is the same sidewinder kit I did back in the days pre video recording. Notice how small the scale wings and fins are.

TexAg1993

As we saw in the FPV guided bomb challenge, short wings are difficult to control for even the most advanced pilots. That video featured Peter Sripol, and he ended up adding wings.

I would be concerned that combining the speed needed to keep an aircraft flying with that kind of weight to wing surface ratio, and the minimal control surfaces would make flying and landing from the same field impossible (for horizontal flight).

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As with any project build the key will be not so much the size or speed of the project ut rather the all up weight and the wing loading.

If the wings and tail surfaces are built around a stick fuselage first and then a lightweight fuselage, (Zeppelin like in internal structure - hollow and fragile), is placed over the stick it should fly and at moderate to low speeds.

Weight is the key and not the flying speed!

Have fun!