1 x Tricopter frame
1 x M3*20 screws + locknuts
1 x KK2 flight controller
1 x Male to male servo connectors
1 x 3 X 3.5mm bullet ESC Power Breakout Cable
3 x DT750 750kV Motors
3 x Hobbyking F20A Speed Controllers
1 x4s Turnigy 3000mAh LiPo
1 x BMS-385DMAX Digital Servo (Metal Gear)
1 x Gemfan 9x4.7
1 x Front wheel steering mounts
1 x Male to male servo cables
1 x M3x30 Hex screws (if building the camera tray)
1 x M4 lock nuts (for the DT750's)
1 x Distribution power adapter
1 x Battery strap
1 x Servo extension
1 x 3.5 bullet connectors

(Items without a link I've bought at local shops)
4 mm carbon fiber rod
40+ of 2.5mm zip-ties
1/16th plywood (if building the camera tray)
Blue locktite
CA glue
12mm (1/2 in.) Boom - (Poplar Square Dowel)
Boom Lengths:
Front: 35cm
Back: 37cm

Camera Tray Plans:
Tricopter Frame PDF
Tricopter Camera mount PDF

Tricopter Build - 3.jpg Tricopter Build - 4.jpg Tricopter Build - 12.jpg Tricopter Build - 5.jpg Tricopter Build - 6.jpg Tricopter Build - 7.jpg Tricopter Build - 9.jpg Tricopter Build - 10.jpg Tricopter Build - 8.jpg Tricopter Build - 11.jpg Tricopter - option.jpg Tricopter Build - 13.jpg Tricopter Build - 24.jpg Tricopter Build - 22.jpg Tricopter Build - 15.jpg Tricopter Build - 16.jpg Tricopter Build - 14.jpg Tricopter Build - 17.jpg Tricopter Build - 18.jpg Tricopter Build - 23.jpg Tricopter Build - 21.jpg Tricopter Build - 19.jpg Tricopter Build - 32.jpg Tricopter Build - 27.jpg Tricopter Build - 25.jpg Tricopter Build - 26.jpg Tricopter Build - 1.jpg Tricopter Build - 28.jpg

Check out the main Article post HERE

Bolvon72

Mentor
Great to see David doing a build thread, I already have mine in the air, but there is still so much to learn about this tri.

zev

lumpy member
thank you thank you thank you. you guys are the awesomest, most devoted, incredible guys out there.

this in my next tricopter!

Trackercj

Hello, thank you for this great tutorial!
I was waiting for something like this for ages so i can finally start collecting recources and make my own tricopter :)

As a beginning flyer what would be a good transmitter/ receiver in combination with this build, maybe something i can expand later to use to do some fpv with my gopro?

Thank you for your time :)

RoyBro

Mentor
Can you recommend an alternate source for the steering mounts? Hobby King seems to have been back-ordered for some time now.

Or if anyone out there has built theirs and have left over parts, maybe they'd be willing to share or sell.

steadly1

As a beginning flyer what would be a good transmitter/ receiver in combination with this build, maybe something i can expand later to use to do some fpv with my gopro?

you cant go past the Turnigy 9X

Can you recommend an alternate source for the steering mounts? Hobby King seems to have been back-ordered for some time now.

there is some other designes out there;
http://iterativecode.com/blog/2012/02/29/tricopter-yaw-mechanism-revision-2/

or you can watch more youtube videos and waight for them to come in stock ;)

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey

Or if anyone out there has built theirs and have left over parts, maybe they'd be willing to share or sell.

HERE is an RCGROUPS thread slam full of all sorts of yaw designs

Budge

Hi David. After seeing this episode on Flitetest, I've decided to take the plunge into RC. I want to build a tricopter like yours for my first RC model. I have a couple of questions. First, if I get a Turnigy 9X or 9XR, what RX and TX do you recommend? Do you think a tricopter is a good first heli? And lastly, if I decide to get the Hobby King X900 tricopter frame to use as a starter kit, would I use the same electronics you've listed here or would you recommend any changes? Oh yeah...and what does HV mean?

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
Thanks Steadly,
I ordered the 9x with plans to do the ER9x update as soon as it arrives. Are those foam noodle landing gear? What a great idea.

Roy

flysomeday

I could be missing something here, but the tricopter parts list says to use "4s" (14.8V). The D4023-850 motor specifies that you could use 4s, but it seems to me that using the DT750 motors, you could only use 3s (11.1V)??

Budge

After you flash the ESCs with SimonK, do you still want to use the Turnigy BESC programming card? Also, where can I get those wooden washers to protect the motor shafts?

Gopherdave

Hello:

I'd like to build Davids Tri and was wondering if I could use bat bones for the motor mounts, it sort of suggests that in the build info but it looks like the Bat Bones are for a smaller motor. Looks like 370 size (45g) and 8x4.5 props max, Davids Tri design calls for DT-750 (78g) with 9x4.5 props. Has anyone tried the DT-750 motor on the bat bones mounts?

Dave

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Hello:

I'd like to build Davids Tri and was wondering if I could use bat bones for the motor mounts, it sort of suggests that in the build info but it looks like the Bat Bones are for a smaller motor. Looks like 370 size (45g) and 8x4.5 props max, Davids Tri design calls for DT-750 (78g) with 9x4.5 props. Has anyone tried the DT-750 motor on the bat bones mounts?

Dave

If it were me, I would use the Bat Bones Yaw assembly only and just tie-wrap the other two motors to the boom. It works VERY well and adds a bit of give during a crash, besides like J. Bixler, I am frugal (CHEAP)!

Thurmond

Gopherdave

Hello All:

Another question I cant seem to find an answer to. I've been flying planes and helis for many years and the CG is critical, you can fudge a bit with helis but not a good idea. The only info I could find is a cg calculator and some plans that show a cg location. These were older posts and the cg was used to select a gyro location. Does this not mater on tricopters, does the flight board just compensate?

Thank-you.
Dave

Sirglider

Folding arms?

Does this not mater on tricopters, does the flight board just compensate?

Dave, the CG has to be more or less at the intersection between the three arms. Having it a bit further will be compensated by the KK2, but one motor will have to spin faster to compensate it and you'll have less reactivity from that motor then.

I have an other question. I made this tricopter and love it. It is really nice and stable, but! Last flight I wanted to go a bit faster in the air and at approximately 20m of height one arm after the other folded back and my tricopter found out again that Sir Isaac Newton was right... :( Do you have any tip or trick to secure the arms open during the flight?

Thx for this great design and for the tipps if there is any! :cool:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I would simply tighten it a tad more. You want them to be able to tough to fold back but still be able to move