Tried updating KISS and FC is now borked.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Hey I replied to you in my KISS rant thread.

Yeah. :)

I still read the first post every couple of days... You nailed all the frustration and fiddlyness of some of these latest releases of software and electronics in general.

I have been building copters since 2013 and I find myself re-learning it all again. Same with Windows...

Jhitesma wants me to build a 90mm whoop... Danged if I'm not totally tempted but I NEED to get my Alien 4" back in the air (soldering iron crapped out mid build so the solder joints suck and sometimes the copter just falls out of the sky) and my WarpQuad fixed (looking for ESCs and my tricopter was a test of the Aikons).

Now after all this fiddling with the Aikons I have 5 20A (WQ is 3S) on the way. 5 for my quad because, well, my luck with ESCs is the stuff of legend.

This hobby seems to have some sort of weird S&M draw. I just keep coming back for more and getting in deeper and deeper with every affair.

I'm calling it KopterKink. :D

Dear FliteTest forum guys, we NEED some more emoticons in this forum. ;)

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
PB, What are your plans for that Borked FC? I wonder what would happen if someone ran a Hot-air station across it. Maybe a weak solder joint or something...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I was following David W's instructions here. He just goes straight into Zadig.

There is only one problem with that. How many times have we updated firmware since that video was made? How many changes have been made to things like usb com speeds in gui's? We don't know if zadig can keep up with those changes. I have even seen someone here (sorry really bad short term mem) that went from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 with the same drivers and that solved an issue with coms.

That is one of the masochistic things as stated about the hobby. It is merely growing too fast. I think we all need to learn the lesson that if something is working DON"T mess with it until it does not break. We do NOT have to keep up with the Jones's to be happy pilots.

Save the updating and changes for new builds or when real problems rise. Changing something because I "thought" an update would help managed to cause more problems in the end game. It all worked starting from scratch but to piece meal things together on existing things = fail from my recent experiences. From now on I will do changes all or nothing when the time or need arises.

My suggested name would have to be Quadrochism to keep up with the other "ism's" associated with deviancy. :p

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
PB, What are your plans for that Borked FC? I wonder what would happen if someone ran a Hot-air station across it. Maybe a weak solder joint or something...

PM me a mailing address and you can have it to add to your collection of fiddly things.

Oh yeah and why are we not friends on here? I recently started to be social and add people here and there but somehow I over looked you? or the request didn't make it?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well got out to fly 6 packs today. First two were down at the park and it was windy as all get out. Killed two brand new PC props by folding them in half on a nose plant. Had to go back home due to wind and the fact I got there just as baseball practice was starting on the main field.

By the time I had a late lunch and got back home it was nice enough to get the last four packs in before the sun got too low out back. As luck would have it Bills Law struck again. The one pack I mentioned earlier somewhere that had one cell acting funny gave way today. I added that happening onto the end of this video of the 3rd pack I flew.

All in all I am really happy with how it flew considering how rusty I am from so long away from the fast stuff. That last tune seemed to do the trick and this thing is rock solid in any condition's baring pilot error. The vibrations are not oscillations it was the beat to crap props I put on because I did not want to kill another good set of props in wind and save them for the freestyle stuff another day.

I will have to tweak the rates a bit since the new firmwares and Tarnis stuff made the responses a bit different then I want but its still VERY flyable.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Way to stick with it, man.

These things get so frustrating, but it's all worth it when they fly. If you can do this, you can do anything.

I'm still in envy of your soft, fluffy grass, pollen or no pollen. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ty sir. yes it does feel so good to know I slogged thru it all and won. BTW the offer stands and you are welcome to come hang out n fly any time. Id even cheer you on or make fun of you depending on what you do! :p

Now off to go fly again as soon as I finish my sammach.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
SWEET!. Like the idea of the figure 8 track. Let's play smashup derby! ;) I really need to take my Pool nudies noodles out to the field and play. Glad you are getting some good air time too! Hope to get out at least once this week. Been busy so far and looks to be much the same through the weekend.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
We have a pulse!
Untitled.jpg

See PM

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
IT !!!

IS ALIIIIIIVVVVVEEEE!!!!

Good job bro was hoping it might be something simple and you could revive it. Hopefully it stays stable and you can actually get some use out of it. Keep an eye on motor number two's function. That was where most of the issues were happening.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like all he did was give it a serious scrubbing behind the ears, a slap and a tickle and its back to life. I was pretty sure after it got wet that it was gunkified and at some point would have done the same once the anger and frustration over that particular controller passed. But it went to a great home so I am not sad over that.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Re: PB's "Junk" Kiss

Plugged it in and got pretty much the same thing PB was getting. Unrecognized USB device. Tried to force the driver on it, but that did not work. Let the cleaning begin!

I cleaned up the pads a bit with a soldering iron, Removed the stringers where PB cut the wires off, pulled off some silicon from around the RX area that was also covering part of the CPU, and hit it with a light bit of toothbrushing and Canned air. Also toothbrushed and aired out the USB port. Plugged it in holding boot and wala! Came up in STM32 mode. Forced the right DFU driver on it, went in to DfuSeDemo and re-flashed 1.2. Comes up now with green and blue light, and am able to connect via KISS GUI.

Looks like maybe there was some FOD in the wrong place. I'll probably play with it a bit to see if it messes up any more. Offered to send it back to PsyBorg, but he declined the offer. Will be going in an all used Martian build soon. Just need a set of used motors to complete the trashpick list.

Cheers!
LitterBug