Turnigy 9X For Simulator

meydany

Hey guys! Quick question. Does anybody know how to use the Turnigy 9x with an RC simulator? I read online that you have to remove the module on the back but I'm wondering if there is a way around that. I have the connector...all I need now is a simulator. I tried ClearView but that only gives you a 15 minute trial time. FMS was another free one but I can't get it to work with Windows 8. Any help on what simulator to use (preferably free...I'm cheap, I know) or how to set up the transmitter would be appreciated :) Thanks in advance

mjmccarron

http://rcdeskpilot.com

I use this one...

I'm not sure if it will run in Windows 8. I am running it in a Windows XP virtual machine on a mac. No problems encountered. I couldn't get FMS to run either.

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I run a 9x and use rc desk pilot or BMI flight simulator. Both are free.

You will have to pop the module off the back for it to work but that's not a big deal. Bummer is it just hangs there since it has an internal antenna.

justin

meydany

Wait you dont have to open up the whole transmitter to unplug the module? Can I just pop it off the back and leave it hanging there still connected?

Also is there any other software involved? I know smartpropoplus has to do with it but I have no idea how to configure it/set it up. Sorry for being such a newb :/

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
You are correct, just pop it off and let it hang.

I use a USB cable that has the correct mono 1/8" jack on the other end. When I plug it in the computer recognizes it as a joy stick device and installs the drivers. Then just open the software, go to the menu select controls then find it in the drop down menu. Assign the channels and you are good to go!

Hope that makes sense

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
I believe it is possible. I tried that first but I don't have a computer with a dedicated mic input. It uses a shared mic/headphone jack. Also, I was having an issue finding all the right software. Some of it doesn't appear to be avaiable anymore or you need to get it from sketchy websites. Also, when I did find the software, half the time it wouldn't work on my computer. Seems like some of it quick working after windows XP and there are some issues with Windows 7 and 8.

Hobbyking sells the simulator cable kit for around $6 so I just couldn't justify messing with all the software when all I had to do was plug the usb cable in and go.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tible_USA_warehouse_.html?strSearch=simulator

This one also works

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...roFly_FMS_US_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=simula

meydany

So i unscrewed the module and popped it out but left it hanging by that wire. I connected the transmitter with an audio cable to my computer however the computer isn't recognizing it at all. When i open vJoy, all the channels jump and aren't connected to the transmitter either. When i talk or make some noise, the channels jump even further. Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

meydany

Maybe i'm plugging it into the wrong audio jack? I've provided a picture with the two that my laptop has. Capture.PNG 10841523_577842888983608_1516164453_n.jpg

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
You have the same issue I did. You have jack for both headphone and mic. I think you need a jack that is just for a mic.

It also sounds like you need to change your audio settings to use an external mic and not the internal one.

As stated above, I highly suggest you just get a USB adapter. Much much easier and no joy stick emulator needed.

meydany

It won't allow me to change the settings for the audio input in Smartpropoplus for some reason...

Also, if i were to buy the USB cable, does it matter what USB cable i buy? Can it be any audio to USB cable or does it have to be specifically made for simulators.

Last edited:

meydany

I got it to work on my other computer that as a mic input! However, for some reason, i'm having a real hard time calibrating the controls. What channels should be set to what axes? Invert doesn't seem to do anything...

Last edited:

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
You define the axis in the sim software you use (at least my software does) from one simulator cable to the next, the axis would change a little for me. RC desktop pilot also lets you invert the channels as well as add expo if you don't do that on your controller

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
If you're just letting the module dangle be VERY careful of that wire. It's not exactly delicate...but it's not exactly robust either. And if you damage it you can kill the range of your TX module. It's not that hard to open the module, unsolder that wire, remove the antenna, remount it to the module, then resolder it...but it does take some careful soldering on small connections (and if you mess up you can kill the range of your TX module.)

Lacking that it's a good idea to use a rubber band or something to hold the module up and take the strain off the wire. That's what I did before I finally remounted my antenna to the module. Other benefit of moving the antenna is you can then use other RF modules - I regularly swap between an orange DSM module, an openLRS module, the stock FlySky module and a hubsan module I made myself I use to fly my proto-x with.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Also, if you don't want to pull the module at all, you can do the simulator mod. I actually just did it a minute ago. you cut a trace on one of the PCBs inside the radio and solder a 1K resistor across it. here is a video that shows how. I just tried it and it works fine. You can use the radio with a simulator and not have to take the module off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6upAsvt7w

I do intend to mod the module so the antenna will be mounted to it that way I can run a dsm module just like jhitesma does. Also, if you ever plan to upgrade your firmware (hope to do that soon myself) then you won't need the resistor mod as there is a fix that was put in place at a software level with the new firmware.

Justin