Visiting Southern California - need flying spot

Hey guys I'm on vacation for the week and staying in Dana Point. I'll be visiting various beaches from here to Huntington Beach. I built a versa for slope soaring and I also brought my simple soarer and a HK kinetic 815 motor glider.

Mostly I want to try slope soaring and I was looking for a safe place where I could easily retrieve my plane if I made a mistake. I plan on flying during the week when things are less populated too.

Can anybody give me some places that are good to fly? I used to live in long beach years ago and there was often some people flying right off ocean avenue over the drop off right before the beach. This was long befrore I knew anything about RC flight. I assume they were slope soaring. But that's really further than I want to drive if I can avoid it.

As an added bonus I have my family with me, any place that could accommodate some small children would be great

Lastly. I don't know much about slope soaring. I get the concept and all. But I'm not sure how for giving it is. Most of the videos I see are along mountain ranges. How close to the shore line could I fly? Huntington has some decent dunes right at the waterline. Can I catch enough of an updraft that close to the water or do I need to be closer to the "cliff" where there is a 20-30' face for the wind to go over.

Thanks in advance

- Jes