What app do you use for wind?

Flite Risk

The title is pretty self explanatory.
Do you folks have a favorite that has been accurate at wind predictions? Did you try one that wasn't worth the mAh it consumed?

My focus here is wind. Apps that tells temp and precipitation are a dime a dozen and hell I can look out the window to see what the clouds are doing.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I use Metam which uses the METAR data from aiports that I have selected around my area. It's the same info pilots use for flight conditions. I've used it for years when cycling so I know what the wind direction and speed are so I don't end up fighting a headwind on the way home when already tired out. I also use Storm which gives animated views of the wind in addition to radar, earthquake, etc...

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Metam
Screenshot_2018-03-26-17-45-11.png

And Storm (arrows are animated based on wind speed and direction.
Screenshot_2018-03-26-17-46-05.png

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The Aviation Weather Center site is back up now. Just an FYI, a lot of metar or aviation weather apps are just an interface for data supplied from the AWC, so if it goes down, the apps won't function.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I use UAVForecast. it is on IOS and Android. i love it. has all the weather i need and then some as well as no fly zone maps and other cool stuff.

XDmToter

I don't know if you are looking for wind forecasts or actual wind speed, but I picked up one of these that plugs in to the headphone jack on my cell phone:

s-l500.jpg

Just search for: "Wind Meter for Cell Phone" and you will find a number of options.

Flite Risk

I recently found an app called "Dark Sky" it is marketed ad hyper local. I've found it pretty close lately.

Flite Risk

Hahaha hell yeah good catch! Are you coming to flight Fest the east? Maybe we can get Stephen to play some clutch on the PA...

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
All this techy stuff I wet my finger and stick in the air for direction and use my flag pole for speed. Sticking straight out to windy for foamies flapping back and forth slowly good to go for all planes.

Flite Risk

Agreed when we're out at the field in the moment that is tried-and-true. but I like to be able to plan my schedule for the week around flying and that is where the apps come in.

Bricks

Master member
Agreed when we're out at the field in the moment that is tried-and-true. but I like to be able to plan my schedule for the week around flying and that is where the apps come in.

Yea like they are about as reliable like the local weather report...NOT..... suppose to be warm and sunny winds < 5mpn today, yep cloudy cold and windy at least 10mph