What are your favorite aviation documentaries?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I just stumbled upon this one...

I didn't realize how much hardship had to be overcome to cross the Atlantic.

I also really liked this one.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Several come to mind. The original documentary on the Tuskegee Airmen. Another about Glider pilots on D-Day and their unsung important efforts for the success of the landings. Don't ask me for names of the documentaries or even who done them as it was LOOOONNNGG ago that I saw them.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Does the Wings/Great Planes program from the discovery channel back in the day count

Ha ha. That probably counts for several.

This is an amazing story. Margot Duhalde was one of the ladies from Chile. She delivered 900 aircraft of 70 different types during her four year service. Imagine that. She was like an awesome full-scale, real life Flite Tester doing maidens all the time.

Last edited:

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
I totally relate to the late great Howard Hughes.

Great topic!

Last edited by a moderator:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ha ha. That probably counts for several.

This is an amazing story. Margot Duhalde was one of the ladies from Chile. She delivered 900 aircraft of 70 different types during her four year service. Imagine that. She was like an awesome real life Flite Tester doing maidens all the time.

This was another good one. I watched that just the other night.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I just bookmarked all three of those for later (probably while I'm building something!). Great thread!!

There are several about the Lancaster Bomber that are good. I have watched a Tv series called planes that changed the world. Some fascinating planes on there!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Those are some great links, thanks for sharing! Will be saving these to put on while building. Funny you should mention Wings, this is one of my favorite episodes:
Also love the BBC Century of Flight Series, most of those are on YouTube as well:
There is also, Legends of Airpower, and Chasing the Sun. All excellently produced documentaries.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
There was one on Netflix that would focus on an Allied vs a Japanese or German fighter. Not a lot of episodes but I liked how they went over the specs and had WWII pilots commenting on the performance in action.

OttoPilot

The Right Stuff - Awesome movie (about as much as a documentary as Apollo 13) tracking aviation from the speed of sound to the beginning of the space program. Hands down my favorite aviation movie.

One-Six Right - Documentary based on general aviation around Van Nuys Airport in Cali (busiest GA airport in the world). Just a warning: this movie will make you want to trade all your worldly possessions for a pilots license and small airplane.

Plane Resurrection - Currently on Netflix Streaming. A UK TV series following folks restoring old war birds. Very well made.

Discovery Wings - Old Discovery series (from when The Discovery Channel was making more than scripted reality TV). This helped guide me into an aviation career as a kid. You can find full episodes on Youtube.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

Dogfights from History Channel.

There are a number of good episodes. The Guadalcanal episode interviews Col. Jefferson DeBlanc, USMC (Ret.). This cajun pilot from Louisiana won the Medal of Honor. You can see that medal at the WWII Museum in New Orleans.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I too was going to name the movie The Right Stuff. The music when Glenn is launching in Friendship VII (Holst) gets me every time! :)