What Plane is This?

DKchris

Well, I edited away the national emblem for obvious reasons - I guess that's only fair to tell. The basic shape of the plane really should be the main hint though.

Revere

Its another SAAB. A 210 Draken or unofficially the LillDraken (little dragon). It was the "double delta" testbed for the later production J35 Draken.

kwak

Well, I edited away the national emblem for obvious reasons - I guess that's only fair to tell. The basic shape of the plane really should be the main hint though.
I originally got the "shape" wrong thinking it was only a single delta. I verified that putting double delta into Google search eventually showed this plane.

For those who may be new to this contest, a little bit of photo doctoring is OK, otherwise the contest can be too easy. Typically we don't ask for hints on the first day, and we let the person who posted the photo confirm which of the guesses are correct.

The contest has been slow for the last few months but hopefully interest will pick up again.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
View attachment 80576
Yep, that's the same jet. I typed in the jet's name and it came up this picture. I couldn't even tell that the picture was edited. But, if that emblem was there, it would be easy to figure out the jet. By the way, Revere, thanks for that information!

That's a cool looking jet. I could see myself tooling around in something like that......

Revere

I'm not always right, prototypes and weird airframes are just my "thing" ;). Sticking with prototypes and deltas, this aircraft looks like a fighter. Don't let that fool you.
sss.jpg

DKchris

Revere was right, my pic was the Lilldraken.

Revere's pic looks to me to be a Handley Page HP.115 - a research testbed for figuring out what happens when supersonic aircraft have to go slow. Kind of an odd task, but someone certainly has to do it.....

Revere

Correct DKchris. It was the testbed for supersonic passenger aircraft wing design, specifically slow speed tests for safe takeoff and landing speeds using existing runway lengths, eventually leading to the design of concorde.

A very cool design which was actually very maneuverable (and fast).

A cool little video for those who are interested:

Last edited:

Revere

It looks a lot like an FW189 from the front with the all glass cockpit and squared off engine nacelles, but the FW had twin tail booms and was substantially larger. If I'm right this is another prototype, an Akaflieg Berlin B9 which never went into full production. Interesting because it had the pilot laying on his stomach in a prone position as an attempt to mitigate brownouts and blackouts in high G maneuvers. Akaflieg Berlin were (and still are) a high performance glider company/research association supported by German universities.

Akaflieg_Berlin_B9.jpg

Last edited:

DKchris

Bingo!
Actually, the general trapezoid rear fuse shape, simple tail and nearly flat bottomed wing on this one just screams FT project in my opinion. Might make a nice challenge for a "how-to" on making complex clear canopies??

Anyway, Revere is up.

Last edited:

Revere

Bingo!
Actually, the general trapezoid rear fuse shape, simple tail and nearly flat bottomed wing on this one just screams FT project in my opinion. Might make a nice challenge for a "how-to" on making complex clear canopies??
I agree, the flat portions and slightly rounded corners do indeed scream "foam build", could be a very acrobatic aircraft as well, considering it was originally built to test high G loads it's gotta be a highly maneuverable design.

OK this is a quick and dirty disguise job while showing as much of the aircraft as is possible - It's not very well known so I figured I needed to show quite a lot instead of just cropping a small section.

photo2.jpg

kwak

That is a version of the Goodyear Inflatoplane, and appears to be the same picture as on Wikipedia for the XAO.

The Inflatoplane has been done twice before in this thread (in 2015), once with canopy and once without. So I would say have another go. ;)

DKchris

I have to smile a bit over the likeness between the inflatoplane and RCGroups Tony65x55's "Tuffy" trainer scratch built. A piece of pipe insulation around the boom, either with a bit of a cut out for the prop or perhaps with some sort of simple motor carrier thingamagic just stabbed into the foam fuse, and the "scale-ish" looks are almost there :D. With a little bit of effort put in, you can build one of these overnight.
a2339769-1-Tuffy-Blu-Baby2.jpg
And yes, the subsonex is quite a nice looking little plane (Although I'd personally more likely go for a Rutan LongEZ, regardless if jet or prop). Shouldn't be mixed up with the Saab Sonett, though - probably one of the wierder fairly nice looking small "sports cars" out there - especially the early ones with the 3-cyl. 2-stroke motor.

EDIT: Yup.....too much off-topic.......admitted:eek:.

Revere? I think you "have the ball".....?

Last edited: