What size Electric Motor (and ESC's?) for a 23 x 8 wood prop.

Mark 42

What size electric motor would work well with this size of prop (23 x 8 inch 2 blade)?
I bought a left & right hand of each in wood (they were on eBay, too cheap to pass up, even as
wall decorations).

I might try to use them with two motors on the back of a small lightweight plastic dinghy I have
(make a small airboat - will have to put safety cages around them).

I figure two counter rotating 23 x 8 props would be pretty cool to push me across a local
pond (Steel Lake in Federal Way, WA) that doesn't allow internal combustion engines
(I also considered a steam engine, just to be able to tell them it's legal!)

I know an electric outboard would be more efficient, but I like oddball contraptions.

Would I be able to run both off of one large ESC (they must make controllers for electric
outboards or something which could be adapted).

Andrew

G'day Mate
Whichever way you go it's going to cost you some serious money $$$. I've never seen any hobby grade "brushed motors" that can spin a prop that large. If you use "brushless motors"you will need two ESCs.
Just to give a idea what you in for power wise, I had a quarter scale model, electric brushless that had 20x10 that needed 100amp Esc, 10S 5000mAh battery (42volts when fully charged), can't remember the exact size of motor but it was 240KV rating. The other model I still have, Extra 45cc gas engine and has a 20x8 prop.
You going to need some serious power x2 and $$$ for the props you have.
Sorry I couldn't be any more helpful.