What's Up With Horizon Hobbies?

mjmccarron

Is it just me or does anyone else question some of the recent happenings at Horizon? Individually, these problems are no big deal and can be explained by the down turned economy but collectively they are a bit unnerving and very frustrating. The first thing I noticed was the fact that customer support has been passed off to their customers to answer tech questions. Apparently it's cheaper than their staff handling these issues. Horizon use to have great tech support and excellent customer service, now they have mediocre at best support. Second, they seem to have discontinued a fair number of products. I understand that this is normal and makes room for new products etc but some of the discontinued products were not that old and parts support vanished right along with them. The third problem, and to me this is the deal breaker, is an apparent lapse in their supplier chain. Specifically, the fact that a good many of their Evolution and Saito engines have been out of stock for months and they have blown past several promise dates. I have been waiting since April to purchase an Evolution 10GX. It has be on backorder since before April. I was told by their chat support that they would be in stock by June 5. June 5 came and went, no stock. I contacted them again and was told July 15th. Well, still no stock. I decided not to place the order to "reserve" mine for when they get here and I'm glad I did. Now I have no intention of ordering one! If they can't support there products, they should just quit trying. Anyone want to buy a DX9 Black? I'm done with Horizon!!! It's really too bad too. They used to be a great source of quality products and the 10 GX looks like a great engine.

Sorry for the rant but I don't like dealing with suppliers that make obtaining information difficult, rely on their customers to support the other customers and can't give a straight answer on product availability.

Mike

N4RF

I'll second the reduction in supply issue but my experience with the customer service and tech support has remained pretty good. I had a receiver that wasn't binding and the guy walked me through after the promised call back. Came away really impressed. As you mentioned, though, the supply side is getting more narrow but some of the others are as well so this may not be their issue.