When the water gets a bit high

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
There have been flooding going on recently in various parts of France, in my town it's not too bad because there have been some very high floods in the past, like one in 1910 when the water got like 2 or 3 meters above it's usual level so very few houses are built in a way that makes them floodable and anyways I live like 30 meters over the water level.

But since I was making a seaplane I went to the river fairly often and as a side effect, documented the progression of the flooding quite well.

You can see my photo album by clicking here

The flooding are a bit worse as you go towards Paris, it has been on the news for the past week with a bunch of houses evacuated and stuff

7523247_1-0-623787448_1000x625.jpg
The news says that the water level hit above 5 meters but I don't really know what is their reference, but I've been there several times in the past and it is rather high compared to the maybe 1 meter we have here.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
WOW, that is insane!! Hope everything is calming down! Is it the rainy season over there?? i dont know much about france, but would love to see it someday! ha

Blessings,
Stefan

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well a bunch of snow has melted probably and there has been a lot of rain so it's not that unusual, last year we had similar floods.

And Stefan you should really come, I could give you a tour ;)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow! I missed this on the news somehow - thank you for sharing, and I hope you're staying safe and dry.

We (family) were there this summer and I think I even remember where this picture was taken - at least I remember seeing both the Eiffel and a river at the same time :) Had a great time too - beautiful country and helpful friendly people!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow mate thats not good. Well good for float planes it seems but not so much for people. On the bright side all that did not come with mudslides yet like California recently. Hopefully no one was hurt or lost their lives in these floods.

I did like that one shot down the street. That looks like a whole row of Whomping Willows from the Harry Potter movie.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Crazy amounts of water there! Stay safe and High and Dry @Fluburtur! We have been abnormally wet here as predicted this winter, but nothing like that.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Don't worry, unless the flood gets 30 meters high im safe. So far I think there only was material damage.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
The Seine looks a bit wider than I recall.:p

I was there back in '85 but in July so no Winter after-effects.

Are there any legal places to fly in the city?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
View attachment 101125
The news says that the water level hit above 5 meters but I don't really know what is their reference, but I've been there several times in the past and it is rather high compared to the maybe 1 meter we have here.

@Fluburtur A few years ago when I was in Paris, I picked up these water color posters.

received_1726448084073571.jpeg

Down stream from your photo when the Seine was at a normal level.

received_1726435570741489.jpeg

One thing I like about these, is I purchased them from one of the stands in the foreground at Notre Dame.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Nice!
Btw it was expected for the water level to go down last week but there was some rain and it was like "nope flooding even more!"
Didn't get new photos however.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
wow! recently with all the warm weather where i live, snow melted then rivers flooded then we got cold again and it froze. peoples cars were frozen to parking lots.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
hehe I just looked at the photos again and a thought occurred to me... You live that close to the Eiffel Tower and yet we have not seen one video of you diving it let alone one with it in view hehe. You sir are SLACKING!!!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well I live about 60km away from Paris actually, near a city called Fontainebleau (you know, where Napoleon lived and stuff)
Also it is now freezing and snowing. Hope there is enough, I partly made my seaplane to also work on snow.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I think the flood is mostly over now, and we don't have much snow left here either.
Well gotta make the canadair airworthy again!