Where to get EPP foam?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
So I was designing a plane for the bush plane competition on the forums and I need some EPP for some parts, but I don't know where to get it. I know that Grayson hobbies sells it, but there is another place called windy hill hobbies that has cheaper foam. Anybody have any experience with trying to buy EPP?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Ive made a lot of custom foam parts from home insulation. I personally like the more dense purple stuff. I have gobbs left over from past projects so thats just what i use...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Ive made a lot of custom foam parts from home insulation. I personally like the more dense purple stuff. I have gobbs left over from past projects so thats just what i use...
I was gonna just use foam board, but I am gonna make wheels, so I don’t know if that would work. My main concern with types of foam is durability since I want to be able to put these on other planes once I have to retire my bush plane, and I’m gonna be landing in places that would probably destroy foam board wheels.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm actually using the purple stuff to do my wheels now...

I've made a wooden hub, carved from my scrap wood pile. (started with plywood but didnt' like it) and then I tried to use that soft foam pipe insulation wrap. (think pool noodle) Honestly, it would work great if it were bigger... but of course, I want bigger!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I'm actually using the purple stuff to do my wheels now...

I've made a wooden hub, carved from my scrap wood pile. (started with plywood but didnt' like it) and then I tried to use that soft foam pipe insulation wrap. (think pool noodle) Honestly, it would work great if it were bigger... but of course, I want bigger!
Cool! I will look into that. If I can find EPP though, I will get it, but it really depends on what’s available in my area since I now have multiple options and it doesn’t really matter to me.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Also, do you know the name of your purple foam so that I can check to see if I can find it nearby? Thanks!

ThomasMartino

Elite member
I’ve purchased EPP foam from Wind Catcher RC. They also have great prices on carbon fiber strips and tubes, so you might as well stock up on those while you are at it to save on shipping costs