Where to get SD cards

Scratch

I need a new micro SD card for my GoPro 3 black. I only have an 8 GB card and can get about 30 minutes of video with the camera set to 1080, 60 FPS, medium.

I'm thinking at least a 32GB card, maybe I should go more? but I thought there's some other specs on the cards that I need to know, too.

Plus I'm wondering where to get decent prices on one instead of buying one at WalMart.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I'm not sure, but I think the other spec is the Class. I usually just go to Best Buy for my SD cards even though I rather hate Best Buy.

I think the Class determines the write speed. Of course you want an SD card that can keep up with how quickly the GoPro can fill it. I have a really old SD card in my really old digital camera and I can tell you that once the card is half full, it starts taking a much longer time for it to save the photo onto the card. So it seems that the fuller the card gets, the longer it takes to write the data onto it.

Best Buy seems to have the SD cards on sale ever so often. Not sure where the best deals are though.

DDSFlyer

I end up getting mine at Costco, the other place I look is Fry's electronics (don't knowif yuhave one of those around). I got a 64GB micro SD card Class 10, writes 45MB/sec or something like that. The 32GB Class 10 they had had a write speed half of the 64GB so that's why I went with the bigger one. Cost me $49 though, the 32 was half that

BankNYank!

Mentor
Here's some good reading for anything you might want to know about SD cards.

If your not in a rush to get one then check out Tech Bargains. They post a collection of good deals on electronics from major retailers as prices drop or they go on sale. SD cards show up on there from time to time. You can also do a search on their site. Other places I would look are NewEgg, Tiger Direct and Amazon.

I think local big-box shops are usually a little over priced but fine in a pinch! I have to buy the crazy fast (and pricey!) cards for my video cameras...but I've found that cards from KomputerBay really are just as good (if not better) then crazy overpriced Lexar stuff...for a fraction of the cost.

You can get them straight from their store (http://www.komputerbay.com/flash-memory.html) or from amazon. Highly recommend them especially if you need something for those 4k gopro's!

Tactical Ex

Go to Newegg.com. I have bought from them so many times in the past and never had a problem. They have great prices and a huge selection. Either Newegg or eBay is where I buy most anything these days.