Help! Wire size

SNOW6CAT

I am trying to set up flaps for my plane and accidentally got a Y harness with really small wires. The Y harness says T-28 and in the picture you can see that the wires on the Y harness are considerably smaller than the 9 gram servo wires. So would it be safe to use this Y harness to run two 9 gram servos, or would the wires be too small?
051BC5F3-A7E4-445F-9D7A-19BD7C4AC3CF.jpeg

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I would avoid using a smaller wire gauge as you could end up with more voltage drop then desired.

That said... if it is fairly short and not much different, it might not be a big deal.

Corsair714

I am trying to set up flaps for my plane and accidentally got a Y harness with really small wires. The Y harness says T-28 and in the picture you can see that the wires on the Y harness are considerably smaller than the 9 gram servo wires. So would it be safe to use this Y harness to run two 9 gram servos, or would the wires be too small?
View attachment 190668
I wouldn't be too concerned. I've accidently ordered wires that small before and didn't have an issue. Although definitely get heavier gauge next time you order a y-harness. Like @JasonK said it shouldn't matter too much cause the wires are short also.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Wildthing is correct the current draw from two 9g servos won't be an issue with that guage of wire. I wouldn't worry about it carry on and use the Y harness I use that gauge of wire on most of my foamboard planes. When you start building big balsa models with decent size servos then start getting serioius with your wire guage.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the others, the wires are fine.

Beware, your success with a Y connector, depends on getting the orientation of the servo correct. They must be facing the same way. If you face them the opposite way, like with ailerons, your flaps will not work correctly.

Be sure to test them before you install them.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hmmm, missed the part about flaps, if the servos are symmetrically placed you will need a servo reverser also if you use the Y connector or go with two single leads and use two different channels

Bricks

Master member
Are you running separate flaps and ailerons or combined? As Wildthing said if you install servos so they both work the same direction a plain Y cable will work, if aileron servos are separate from flap servos.. If both flaps and ailerons are on the same servo then you need a mix in the radio connected to a switch and separate channels.. If you have enough channels then hook all four servos to separate channels gives the most flexibility.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
If you are using full length ailerons, then flaperons are a possibility. Most modern transmitters can easy handle flaperons. If your transmitter is not one of them OR you don’t want to fiddle with programming it. You could use a Vtail mixer for flaperons.

1612056864024.jpg

Last edited: