Workshop setup/renovation

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
First off, I couldn't find a section for sheds/workspaces so I just stuck it here.

So I have got a largish, thee sided stone shed with a tin roof on it that I have been using for the last 3 years for my workshop. The walls have holes in them and the rocks are stuck together with lime and mud. the whole shed was probably built about 80 years ago, and has been used for storage since.

The shed is divided into 3 bays, the middle and largest being mine. to the left is one bay that dad did up, pointed up the walls and put crusher dust down as a floor. That's what I want to do to mine.
For the last 6 months I have been slowly moving stuff out and packing stuff up into boxes so I can renovate the shed, but it has been slow going with many stops and starts.
So what I am doing here is just documenting my progress but at the same time using it as a bit of a accountability log too!

The end goal is to have a shed to use for R/C stuff, wood work, engine work and a small office/desk area at the back.

So if you guys could start fresh with a clean shed, what would you put in it and how would you do it?

Abe

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I might be shooting for a little more than a shed here, but this is a combination of the things I did right, and the things I missed in my current workshop space.

• Power outlets about 48"-54" off the floor spaced 24" apart all the way around around the walls. Height to be above the clutter on a workbench, but below the kitchen style cabinets.
  • All the wall power outlets on a separate circuit for each wall.
  • Power outlets in the ceiling too about every 48".
  • Electrical panel near the door - use breakers for on/off switches for outlets when leaving. No more "oops I left a hot glue gun / soldering ircon plugged in for two days". Thank goodness I didn't burn my place down when I did that.
  • Make the whole ceiling have a layer of plywood for all the hooks and hanging shelves.
  • Small handwash/parts wash sink. Love having this.
  • Skip the pegboard - Kitchen style hanging cabinets on the walls. I picked mine up from house renovation projects for free and repainted them. Then use hooks and hand made tool holders to cover the doors with tools.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As for tooling I would recommend a 3D printer, a wing Jig, A fuselage jig, and a foam core cutting table or machine.

In addition a large work bench and a motor test area which can secure an assembled model for hot run testing of ESC cooling airflow.

Last recommendation is a material storage area off of the ground so that the materials can lay flat until used.

Have fun!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Thanks guys!

made some good progress yesterday, almost ready to drag out the foam/woodscraps/oats/dust floor and get some crusher dust.

rockyboy, I do have a collection of cabinets/shelves I want to put in, and I definitely will be adding some more power points, lights and possibly a big ol' aircon I have laying around, as well as relocating the light switch (which is currently located on the roof beams, 8 foot up.)

I like the master switch idea. left my soldering iron on in the shed, and came back the next morning to find it all quite nice and warm after heating up over night. :oops:

Hai-lee, yes I will be getting a 3D printer as soon as my budget allows. most of it is going on flight training for my licence. Already have a table saw, bench saw, etc. a hot wire bow.

Also like the flat foam storage. Will be doing that!

Abe

Userofmuchtape&glue

Got it all cleaned out and about to start on the walls. just found that they had been built a meter of square with the back one so better fill it up quick before it drives me batty. :oops:

cyclone3350

Master member
I have a huge basement that I just luv. The only problem is that I can't spray (the garage which I ruined with paint dust is where I spray) and I do fabric covering on my larger birds. I don't dope, but I do use Sig Stixit to glue on the fabric which smells just as bad and absolutely permeates the house even with fans and windows open. We will be relocating to Georgia from Illinois in the US next spring and my plan is for a separate unit detached from the house. Good luck and post pics if U can.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
In the summer, the temperature in my workshop reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
Air conditioning (often referred to as AC, A/C or air con) is a system used to cool down the temperature in an inside space by removing the existing heat and moisture from the room. Essentially, they work by taking warm air into a system and dispersing cold air, but there is much more to this process.