Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Want true DSMX in your Taranis?

Inspired by a blogpost by John Prikkel i built a true Spektrum DSMX JR-module for the FrSky Taranis.

This video shows how to build a true full-range Spektrum DSMX JR module for the FrSky Taranis.
    It completely integrates with the Taranis interface for binding, model matching and so on.

PCB Circuit Board: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/mQXHRTOA
    Empty SPM6817 module. https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdId=SPM6817
    Source for genuine Spektrum DSMX module: a DX4e (cheapest) or DX5e(a little more money)
    BOM and further documentation: http://johnprikkel.blogspot.dk/2014/07/jr-dsmx.html

I assume the module is the same regardless of transmitter and channel count? so this will give as many channels as the Taranis supports?

Also what's the benefit over the orangeRX dsmx module?

Btw Danish English sounds like Norwegian English, weird since you guys normally can't speak properly at all :P

Quote Originally Posted by HawkMan View Post
    I assume the module is the same regardless of transmitter and channel count? so this will give as many channels as the Taranis supports?

Also what's the benefit over the orangeRX dsmx module?
    It will only handle 6 channels, but thats enough for most DSMX bind-and-flys

Quote Originally Posted by HawkMan View Post
    Btw Danish English sounds like Norwegian English, weird since you guys normally can't speak properly at all :P
    Haha I'm very aware that it's not British english, American english or Australian english which are the three most heard on youtube, but I'm glad you're able to understand
    As a Dane I completely disagree with the Danish English to Norwegian English comparison though

Regarding the benefits over the OrangeRX module is to my understand the following:

- Fully integrated (range test and bind functions from the Taranis menu, not the button on the module)
    - True model matching (Seperate IDs in the recievers, so you can't by accident choose a wrong model, just like the FrSky D16 protocol)
    - IMHO better antenna placement, not sticking out the back, so Taranis is still able to lie down flat and rest on the metal-handle.
    - Possibly less latency (the Taranis is "speaking native DSM" with the module, not being coded to PPM)
    - Being a genuine Spektrum module possible has other benefits?

Blog Entries
    Awesome.

There's only one thing I don't like: An OrangeRX module just got delivered to my mailbox.

Hmm... Bad luck
    But maybe on of your friends with a turnigy 9x can use the OrangeRX

Is this mod a change from a regular Spektrum module? I'm just wondering if the normal Spektrum module will do the same thing or if there is a difference in this board that allows direct communication with the Taranis?
    Yes, I DO call that a landing! It's on the ground, isn't it?!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xuzme720/videos
    It's pronounced "excuse me 720" or call me Gary, my mom always did.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit!" M. Hedberg

Spektrum only makes dsm2 modules, so if you wants dsmx its either this or orangerx

Oh, I wasn't aware that they didn't make their own protocol in their modules! Looks like I'm shopping for parts then! Well, after Christmas. No money left for hobby stuff right now.
    Yes, I DO call that a landing! It's on the ground, isn't it?!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xuzme720/videos
    It's pronounced "excuse me 720" or call me Gary, my mom always did.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit!" M. Hedberg

Blog Entries
    Will this work with a Turnigy 9x flashed with OpenTX (and stock tx module removed/made replaceable)?

Thanks

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast