Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 126 of 173 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 1730
    Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dkj4linux View Post
    How neat is that! I hope he'll stop in and let us all give him a big "Thank you" for giving us such a great gift. I tried to send him a "thank you and introduction" message and link to my thread(s) through a website he seemed active on a couple of years ago but never heard back. I'd love to have another chance! -- David
    Well if he doesn't you can reply to his comment on my video if nothing else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPK...ddlu5xuezgjaln
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

Good evening everyone, Psyborg sent me here looking for Might PM Jhitsema or Litterbug to help me out. I need a 3D printed part designed (judging on what you guys do this should take you a matter of minutes to make haha). It's a simple antenna mount and I can't really fly until I get the part printed sadly. All the specs, information, and pictures can be found at "First Build - Zap 130 Zero Racing Quad - Need Help" By Xspense

Safe Flying,
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post

I did indeed reply in the comments section of your video. Thank you for letting him know how grateful we all are for him sharing his cutter idea with us... and inviting him to join in. I hope he will. -- David

All,

I have updated my "sideboard version" of the needle cutter out on Thingiverse...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1211039

It won't be for everyone as it is designed specifically for the MPCNC/Hicwic quick-change tool mount but, of course, a few minutes with Tinkercad can quickly remedy that

-- David

Watched your video again today and every time I hear that sound it makes me want to go cut another plane out. I have 6 waiting to be assembled already! LOL Happy Cutting everyone and enjoy a Happy Easter and the Weekend that goes with it!
    Enjoy a blessed day!

Red face That's very niice

Hey guys, I'm really honored by your response to my greetings. It's really awesome to know something I did years ago had some far reaching effects. I've been really busy working with a maker space here in Wichita KS the last few years. MakeICT (.org) It's doing very well. We have a foam cutter, obviously . Some fellow makers have helped create an Inkscape plugin that works with our machine that makes the whole thing almost kid friendly. It's a spin off of the old Egg bot / Inkscape setup. You can find it on github here: . I designed an Arduino shield for it. We use a servo for the Z so we can adjust the depth of cut. I'll try to get some more pictures and video up.
    Any way, Great to hear back from you and I look forward to communicating in the future.
    Tom McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by atomicwire View Post
    Hey guys, I'm really honored by your response to my greetings. It's really awesome to know something I did years ago had some far reaching effects. I've been really busy working with a maker space here in Wichita KS the last few years. MakeICT (.org) It's doing very well. We have a foam cutter, obviously . Some fellow makers have helped create an Inkscape plugin that works with our machine that makes the whole thing almost kid friendly. It's a spin off of the old Egg bot / Inkscape setup. You can find it on github here: . I designed an Arduino shield for it. We use a servo for the Z so we can adjust the depth of cut. I'll try to get some more pictures and video up.
    Any way, Great to hear back from you and I look forward to communicating in the future.
    Tom McGuire
    Welcome, Tom! I'm so glad you came by... "THANK YOU!"

For those who don't know, Tom is the originator of the needle cutter idea and served as my inspiration for all the CNC and needle cutter development I've shared in the RC/CNC forums. So we all have him to thank for this wonderful foam cutter tool that we now take for granted.

Repeating here for those who don't know... Tom first inspired me with a little pipe-framed desktop CNC machine, which I built and had a ball with... pen-plotting, hot-wire, and dremel. Later, his kinetic toys/sculptures -- and most importantly his foam cutting machines -- became my focus and off I went, embarking on what has been a very fun and rewarding journey...

I adapted his cutter to a conventional 3-axis CNC (with fully-implemented Z-axis and running gcode) and, because of my interest in RC planes (and my dislike of hand-cutting them), introduced the idea of machine-cutting sheet foam to the RC community out on the RCGroups forum in June, 2012 (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...m-cutting-head). It gained virtually no traction at the time... few folks in the community were into CNC and able to see the function/utility of the needle cutter. I reintroduced the needle cutter -- along with Ryan Zellars' fantastic MPCNC -- to the RC world in November, 2015 on the RCPowers forum (their planes, PDF plans, and score/fold method were the attraction to me and perfect for the needle-cutter) and the reception was far better... though still limited to a relative few folks who were "ready" for CNC. But it was a start. I expanded the scope, introducing it out on several other RC/CNC forums, including this one, and again the uptake was "modest". The RCPowers thread continued to slowly grow, however, and then our FliteTest thread suddenly took off. Some 125+ pages in the rear-view mirror now, with folks world-wide, and about a year and a half... many needle cutters, MPCNC and others, 3d printing, lasers, drag-knives, camera sliders, vacuum hold-down, etc. have all been fair game.

Anyway... THANK YOU, TOM! I hope you'll keep coming back and give us all a chance to get to know you. Again, you may have never posted much about your work but what you did post has touched a very large community of folks.

Gratefully,

David Johnson
    Last edited by dkj4linux; 04-15-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Print Size Settings Question

I tried to set up my MPCNC with needle cutter to cut MPF which is 2' x 4' or roughly 609mm x 1219mm. I set Repetier to have a print area of X=1219 and Y=609. My needle cut well. However the last 450mm was ruined. The parts where printed on top of each other and measurements where skewed. Should I have updated the Arduino? This is the same board that came with the bundle I received from vicious1.com. If I print/cut anything 762mm x 508mm, it all comes out perfectly. I look through the forum on the vicious1 site and could not find an answer. Can any of you help a brother out? Educate me. Thank you!
    Enjoy a blessed day!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael763 View Post
    I tried to set up my MPCNC with needle cutter to cut MPF which is 2' x 4' or roughly 609mm x 1219mm. I set Repetier to have a print area of X=1219 and Y=609. My needle cut well. However the last 450mm was ruined. The parts where printed on top of each other and measurements where skewed. Should I have updated the Arduino? This is the same board that came with the bundle I received from vicious1.com. If I print/cut anything 762mm x 508mm, it all comes out perfectly. I look through the forum on the vicious1 site and could not find an answer. Can any of you help a brother out? Educate me. Thank you!
    Michael,

I notice nobody has a definitive answer for you and I'm certainly no expert but it does sound as though something needs to be "informed" of the extended X and Y you have on your machine. The Marlin firmware from vicious1.com currently has the X_MAX_POS and Y_MAX_POS set to 200 mm in configuration.h so I'm not sure why it would even work for the smaller 762mm x 508mm case (assuming you never changed it)... much less your larger one. Could be it's not responsible for the problem you are seeing but it probably would be best (less confusion?) to make the configuration.h values more representative of the physical machine... if you are inclined to re-flash the Arduino, that is.

Another thing that occurs to me: is it possible you have the X and Y values exchanged somewhere? In RH possibly? I don't know how you measured that "last 450mm" but the actual cut-area difference between 1219mm and 609mm isn't too far from that. And in your quote you specify the MPCNC dimensions as 609x1219... and then specify X=1219 and Y=609 for Repetier?

Just a thought...

-- David

damn that is just too cool. nice work guys

Page 126 of 173 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 ... LastLast