Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 117 of 129 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1286
    Quote Originally Posted by GremlinRC View Post
    That looks pretty cool David. Yes PTFE will definitely finish that off nicely. Just wondering how much infill you use on these printed cutters? I will probably have a go at making my own version too. I may well try Basscor's idea of the 4 bearings to keep the needle totally straight. Took delivery of a big stash of piano wire today so got lots to play with
    Thanks, Dave. I use 30% infill, 3 perimeters, and 3 top/bottom layers. Jason's parametric needle cutter (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723915) will give a basic cutter body -- I increased the "back height" to 50 mm -- and then added the sideboard mount in Tinkercad. -- David

the postman...

...was at my house!
    ----------------------------
    Hi, I can see a lot of nice 3D-Printings but I will be out of business in making new needle cutters the next time!

---> The postman gave me a heavy package with some fine goods to play with

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rails-01.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	82353

Name:	rails-02.jpg 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	82354

Name:	rails-03.jpg 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	82355

I want to have a router at home...this is more convenient than sitting in a factory-like compartment...especially for longer test (laser)

For the first step, I ordered 2 sets of SBR-rails 16mm (gantry) + 20mm(main)
    Because this rails are supported over the whole lenght, they can be mounted very easily.(I hope so..)

I will build the main body from multplex/plywood (18mm).
    This frame will make it strong enough to do some real milling jobs...but first, I will use it for the laser and the needle cutter.
    The rails are 80cm long...with a real toolpath space from ~65x~65cm - which is big enough for most jobs (I can use my friend's router for bigger parts)

The next step is to look for the right stepper motors and the drive train (may be the timing belt version?) -
    By building a kind of a "modular system" I can change this to a more powerfull set of lead screws in the future.
    (BTW "BallNuts" is a funny word)

????? Which kind of steppers are you using in the MPCNC???? - I'm looking for Nema23...should be strong enough.

Joachim

FT_Nut
    Joachim. I'm using those exact same rails on my "all metal" CNC and they are great. Nema23 is perfect. I highly recommend that you look at ballnuts if it fits your budget. (yes it is a funny word!). You can of course go with a belt drive but with those fully supported rails you can build a machine capable of milling aluminium and you won't get that strength with timing belt. Avoid ACME leadscrew if you can, it will severely limit your max speed (unless you get a very big thread pitch which will then eat into your accuracy.

Good luck,

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by GremlinRC View Post
    1> I'm using those exact same rails on my "all metal" CNC and they are great.
    2> I highly recommend that you look at ballnuts if it fits your budget.
    3> You can of course go with a belt drive...
    4> Avoid ACME leadscrew if you can....
    Dave.
    Hi Dave, thanx for the infos!
    1--> yes, they look strong, but mine where a little bit bend like "bananas" ...could fix this very easy by releasing the scews a little and tighten them again.

2--> I will look for the balls, ä...nuts, ähhh...BallNuts ...I do not know if I will use one in the center or two (one on every side, coupled with a beltdrive)
    ?Any idea for the pitch?

3--> my intention is to use the belt for the first tests using 2 belts/motors for the main axis and a system like that
    http://www.buildyourtools.com/phpBB3...?t=1050&p=3221
    for the gantry ...Can switch over to the lead screw after some time.

4--> I never had them in my mind...only 2 solutions -> beltdrive or ballscrews

I do not want to spoil this "needle-thread" with to many post about the router, but I will send some building infos now and then.

Greetings from Germany
    Joachim

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dkj4linux View Post
    Thanks, Dave. I use 30% infill, 3 perimeters, and 3 top/bottom layers. Jason's parametric needle cutter (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1723915) will give a basic cutter body -- I increased the "back height" to 50 mm -- and then added the sideboard mount in Tinkercad. -- David
    That's about what I do...but I usually only use 15-20% infill. The extra perimeters seem to give more strength than infill in my experience so I mostly use just enough infill to support the top surfaces well.

I'm thinking about modifying the defaults on the Thingiverse listing with more default height since it seems that's the way more and more things are moving But I also still want to add some guide supports - just debating how I want to do it. I'm thinking about just two towers with four mounting holes - so they can be used to mount bearings or wood blocks. But debating how configurable they need to be.
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
    That's about what I do...but I usually only use 15-20% infill. The extra perimeters seem to give more strength than infill in my experience so I mostly use just enough infill to support the top surfaces well.

I'm thinking about modifying the defaults on the Thingiverse listing with more default height since it seems that's the way more and more things are moving But I also still want to add some guide supports - just debating how I want to do it. I'm thinking about just two towers with four mounting holes - so they can be used to mount bearings or wood blocks. But debating how configurable they need to be.
    Sounds good, Jason. I think you are right about the infill... I'm going to default mine to 20% as well.

If/when you do decide to implement the added towers, do you suppose maybe there could be a "single" or "split" tower option... with all the tower dimensions, hole spacings, etc customizable as well? With the apparent ease and rapidity with which you implemented the parametric cutter in the first place, I guess I don't see that as too out of line with all the customization you've already built into that "thing". And it would sure make life easier for all us "dummies" out there to make a mount for almost anything -- bearings and/or sideboards -- that we might want to back/constrain/guide the needle with. Pretty please??? Huh, Jason... pretty please? -- David

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    Main reason I haven't done towers yet is I'm kind of waiting to see how the testing/prototyping works out so far

So any input on what kind of options I could/should add are more than welcome and will help make sure I get to it sooner rather than later
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

Quote Originally Posted by jhitesma View Post
    Main reason I haven't done towers yet is I'm kind of waiting to see how the testing/prototyping works out so far

So any input on what kind of options I could/should add are more than welcome and will help make sure I get to it sooner rather than later
    I don't think there's any doubt the towers would be a welcome addition. The only thing holding me back from testing what I've got is -- first, I'm lazy and trying to get ready for another fishing weekend-- and the other is that I really haven't got suitable PTFE, Delrin, etc to make proper side-boards with yet. I'm thinking of just greasing the printed ones I made and give them a go... wooden ones might also be used but I'd sure like to laser-cut them and that means I'd have to clear all the crap (a technical term) off my laser setup. I've also thought about possibly using DT plastic cutting board material... I think it's probably HDPE but don't know if it's really any good for this application or not (can it be safely laser-cut?).

-- David

Quote Originally Posted by dkj4linux View Post
    I really haven't got suitable PTFE, Delrin, etc....
    -- David
    Hi David, some cuttingboards (for the kitchen) are made of Delrin or similar stuff....
    Joachim

Made some great progress this weekend and got everything built and working!

http://imgur.com/a/6AZoe

Some of those are progress pictures and some from when it was almost done. I've got it drawing nicely with a ziptied and taped pen. Had an issue where estlcam was starting a print witt a g00 to 0,0,0 at 2100 speed which was murdering my z axis. Had to change it to start above origin rather than start at origin which used the correct rapid z speed of 350.

Just need to attach the cutter and try it out.

Page 117 of 129 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 ... LastLast