Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 LastLast

Thread: FT Mini Arrow

The first flights I had with my Arrow had an underpowered motor. The plane flew, but slow and the motor got hot. Response to controls was slow and it took a lot of nose up input to keep it level. Since then, I installed a 2205 2300KV motor running 5x4.5x3 bull nose props on a 3S battery. This thing really tears around! The controls are very snappy now and it will climb vertically. It is super fun to fly. I think your problems with slow control response could be from slow flight speeds, mine definitely improved with a little more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikej997 View Post
    The first flights I had with my Arrow had an underpowered motor. The plane flew, but slow and the motor got hot. Response to controls was slow and it took a lot of nose up input to keep it level. Since then, I installed a 2205 2300KV motor running 5x4.5x3 bull nose props on a 3S battery. This thing really tears around! The controls are very snappy now and it will climb vertically. It is super fun to fly. I think your problems with slow control response could be from slow flight speeds, mine definitely improved with a little more speed.
    Ill hopefully get to test today as it looks like the wind is somewhat calmer! Yes it wasnt very fast but still surprisingly fun to fly. When i swapped the prop i held it vertical and it gave a good push at full throttle, so it looks like it may eve be able to take off vertically

just say the word

Quote Originally Posted by mikej997 View Post
    That is good to hear! Kind of what I was thinking.

This system primarily speeds the transfer of the plans to the blank foam board. The cutting seems a little faster due to better markings on the foam.

I am putting the finishing touches on this thing for the Mini Arrow, when I'm done I might need a volunteer or two to test it out. It would probably be good to get feedback before I put a bunch of work in something everyone else thinks is dumb or redundant.
    Count me in! Just drop me a line and I'll use your system on the next plane I scratch build

Im still struggling with mine.

flying weight is 325g. Its better witht he prop on the right way but it still rolls very slowly.

I readjusted the cg to close to the plans, i had marked the wing at 1.7 inches added weight to the nose and got it to say 1.5 inches. It flew like crap and would just want to nose dive into the ground without full trim and some holding the stick. so i ditched the weights and went back to where i was before which was just under an inch infront of the firewall. It flew much better, but rolls were still slow however i was able to yank and bank fine. I am however feel like im using alot of stick with no expo.

What i found with the CG close to the 1.7 was that in slow flight the wing would yaw left right.. and was quite a handfull. with it at 1" it was so much easier to fly.

Now from reading a few pages back theres recomendations for gett it at 1.75 and then trimming it for level flight, then adjusting your linkages for the amount of reflex needed . im guessing i was using maybe 30% up elevator....

Solved. i reset the arrow up. Think my reflex gauge was cut wrong because i found the original one which i used a straight edge with, it had slightly more angle on it.

Also decided to balance it as per the plan with 15g in the nose got it almost dead on. And well it launched with ease, no diving or any other funny stuff making you scramble for the controls. just left my hand straight and at a shallow angle climbing.

2 batteries with no dramma. roll rate still isnt great but it will turn on a dime.

frustration, broke my getting there setup mini arrow, build a new one saving 50g of weight (removing paper and using coloured packing tape on outside) broke that one on the 2nd flight.

Anyway, has anyone made the mini arrow as a whole wing instead of in 2 piecs. Im pretty sure my foamboard i big enough.

Im having issues with breaking the wing front to back. mine never folds bit instead breaks 1 wing. The first wing broke in line with the servo, straight trhough the wing spare. Almost clean in 2.

The 2nd wing broke just before the electroins pod from an inch infront of the leading edge right through to the back. Again not worth repairing.

it takes me 6 hours to build these.. to have it suddenly go nose down on me and hit the ground, the last crash wasnt even under power and only from about 15 feet onto soft grass.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsound View Post
    frustration, broke my getting there setup mini arrow, build a new one saving 50g of weight (removing paper and using coloured packing tape on outside) broke that one on the 2nd flight.

Anyway, has anyone made the mini arrow as a whole wing instead of in 2 piecs. Im pretty sure my foamboard i big enough.

Im having issues with breaking the wing front to back. mine never folds bit instead breaks 1 wing. The first wing broke in line with the servo, straight trhough the wing spare. Almost clean in 2.

The 2nd wing broke just before the electroins pod from an inch infront of the leading edge right through to the back. Again not worth repairing.

it takes me 6 hours to build these.. to have it suddenly go nose down on me and hit the ground, the last crash wasnt even under power and only from about 15 feet onto soft grass.
    Unfortunately this is the weak point on the FT mini arrow. There are several users who have used a variety of clever methods to strengthen that area but when it comes down to if it's going to break when you crash it will most likely to be there. At least all of mine

I used spars for some of my earlier builds which seemed to help a little. Then I came to the realization that with the way I crash I was only adding weight to the wing and time to my build. I don't mind building new ones. In fact I enjoy it just as much as flying them. But I do understand your frustration. My first few didn't stay in the air very long. I've seen plenty of posts about how strong it is then I realized that most of them were veteran pilots and probably not crashing nearly as hard as a noob like me. I ended up spending around $40 on an EPP wing. They take a beating and gave me enough flights to dial in my wing flying skills so my Arrows last multiple packs before meeting their impending doom. I'll always build Arrows, I love the little bugger. I just do it knowing it probably won't survive my crash but for the $ it doesn't bother me a bit. And the knowledge gained from the build process and maidening is invaluable$$$$

On a side note about your previous post, all of my best flying Arrows have been based off of the recommended CG no matter what the weight needed in the nose to get it there. Every build has varied in the amount of weight needed. On my last build (I purchase the speed build kits from FT) I did what your about to do and stripped all the paper replacing the outside with colored packing tape and it ended up requiring 0g of weight. Final build balanced perfectly on the recommended CG
    The memories of yesterday are already gone. And the memories of tomorrow may never be. So enjoy the memories you are making today.

HAPPY CRASHING

Yep ive reinforced mine with filament tape so theres minimal weight gain, strip along the leadnig edge and then at the back of the U section to help stop it tearing in a nose crash.

Although im not flown wings before, and only flown fixed wing tainer many years ago im pretty sure my flying is good enough to keep it in the air doing simple circuits and figure 8's i was flying really well on the original once i got the CG right when suddenly it goes weird pulling a tight turn. Same thing happens twice. Whcih makes me thing something went wrong, supect control surface. after the crash i did notice 1 control horn loose in the elevon but then that could have just been the crash but it is suspect.

My 3rd wing the horns are in solid.

the other issue i had was that it would need aileron corrections in flight, it wasnt trim it would randomly twitch and need a bump to level it back out. I put it down to slop (cheap servos and horns with holes that are too big) ive taken care of teh horn slop so only the servo slop remains.

Hopefully this 3rd wing will fly a bit better.

I need to make templates whichw ill cut the build time down by anout an hour (it takes me an hour to trim the tiles down and tape them together) im also going to be getting foam from hobbyking which will eliminate remvoing the paper o another 20-30 minutes saved,

Need to make another 2 next week as im going on a sort of holiday for a week and wont have anything with me.

OK here are my 3 new wings. only 1 has electronics in it, the other 2 are backups. Unless i dont break it then maybe ill put electronics in 1 of the 2 new ones as that is made of the lighter foam.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171018_130212.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	96471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20171012-WA0004.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	702.9 KB 
ID:	96472

The one that is setup ready for maiden is made from west foambnoard with the paper removed and 1 side done with packing tape. this saved 50g. Although my original was heavy it flew fairly well and flew pretty slow.

The lighter version didnt last long enough to be able to say if lighter made it fly bettter, infact its flight was pretty horrible before it crashed and broke 1 wing in half....

Hopefully ill get a decent patch of weather with little wind to test fly the new one out. Balanced it the other day ponly needed a medium sized coin in the nose. 1000mah battery balances it with the battery moved back slightly. Need to change the ESC out for a lighter one, which will hoefpully make it easier to balance.\

the lighter wings are coming in at 100g before electronics are added.
    Last edited by bazsound; 10-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Mini arrow flew great.!!! Must have gotten it close to perfect as i only needed a few clicks up trim. Was surprised at how sensitive it was compared to the previous arrows, roll rate while not lighting is faster than before, feel like i need to add in expo in high rates as it was a bit twitchy.

The wings are still tending to rock, could be a combination of slight slop and also my high rates and no expo. i let the controls go and it banked right on me while flying fairly fast in level flight i countered and a rocking started to happen that could have just be being late on catching it. I was finding that in normal easy flight i was barely touching the sticks until i wanted to turn fast and evn then i probnablyw asnt even reaching half stick.

Being a heli pilot im kind of used to that, the other arrow felt less responsive and was using alot of stick.

Anyway thast it until saturday as have a long drive. will be talking the arrow and its backups with me along with a heavy beatup yak 545 profile foamie

Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 LastLast