Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Round fuselage, part 4

Front top turtle decks

1. Make another former for the front turtle deck at the front edge of the fuselage. Lay a straight edge along the top of the front cone cowling and the former on the top fuselage plate located immediately in front of the forward-most power pod locating slots. Measure the height of the new former. You will need this former since I made the front turtle deck in several pieces.

2. I created new front turtle deck outlines since the shape of the fuselage changed. This was a matter of measure, layout on paper, cut the paper, see how it didn’t fit, and redo…….took me 4 tries to get the posterboard turtle decks just right……talk about frustrating!!

In the pic below you can kinda see there are 3 pieces of turtle deck behind the cone-shaped cowling. I hold the chin in place with a black rubber band instead of another BBQ skewer thru the fuselage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	72607

To remove, take out the BBQ skewer at the rear of the power pod, take off the rubber band, pull the chin down, slide the power pod forward to take the firewall off the BBQ skewer studs, and pull out the pod.

Good luck, folks. I guess that I should try and build another plane with a rounded front fuselage and take some in-progress pics. I have a nerdnic Chipmunk which is 3/4 way finished (frustrated with the split elevators) that started out as a V1 - I have tried to update to a V2 style, so is that V1.75???. Maybe it needs an oval front end too!?!?!?

Or should this be an article??

Nice write up,

Quote Originally Posted by Budzo View Post
    Or should this be an article??
    This should definitively be an article. If you're able to make a video about it, even better. Great work!

Localfiend, what a great warbird rendition. One of my favorite planes. Really appreciate the hard work and effort you put into this build.
    Budzo, what a great addition to this beauty, adding realistic lines and shape to this plane makes a great build, even better. Both of you deserve Big Kudos for this terrific rendition of the BF 109/Me 109. I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say Thank you.

Less than 250 Grams! Dreamwalker's Avatar
    O.K., Here's my wack at this design. No paint yet. Flying it ugly.

Name:	Bf109_10.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	265.7 KB 
ID:	92958

I made a few deviations from the plan.

Name:	Bf109_5.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	92959

No Power Pod...I built a tray ala-Bushwacker instead. The battery loads through the hatch opening.

Name:	Bf109_3.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	92960

Had a go with some foam curving on the nose which turned out quite well.
    There are a few other modifications as well.
    Motor is a Suppo 2212-13 swinging a 9-6 prop.

Maiden flight today at my club's Fun-Fly. No pressure.
    I took off and it literally, this is such an over used term, it flew right off the building board.
    Only 2 or 3 clicks of right aileron trim needed to fly hands off.
    Balance was perfect to the plan with a 2200 Mah 3S all the way up front. BTW, it was quite windy, 5 - 10 MPH winds w/ 15 MPH gusts. Not the best for a maiden flight.
    Video to follow as soon as I return from a business trip.
    Many thanks to Localfiend or this great airplane.

Now I have to build one from water resistant foam and go hunting for those Tower Hobbies P51's...
    Burn the Land and Boil the Sea, but you can't take the Sky from ME!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4