• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

FT Flyer - Scratch Build

The FT Flyer is a scratch built air frame designed specifically for our 'swappable fuselage' series. The other wings in this series include the Nutball and Delta wing. This episode is a step by step build plan to show you how to make your own modified BluDart, The FT Flyer.

Foam board swappable fuselage scratch build series is setup like this, the Nutball as a beginner, the FT Flyer as the next step up, then the Delta wing for advance flying.

The FT Flyer (BluDart) is a great intermediate scratch build offering all the ease and fun as the Nutball but offering a nice transition into more aerobatics and aerial maneuvers helping you improve your skills and prepare you for the Delta wing.

One of the best part of all of these wing designs is that they are constructed from inexpensive foam board, so if a wreck does happen, you're only out a dollar or two worth of foam.

Scratch building these foam board planes is a fun way to learn more about RC flight, improving your flying and it's a cheap way to explore your creativity in designing your own airplanes as well as a great way to introduce friends into the RC hobby!

The plans for the FT Flyer are available here:
    FT FLYER SWAPPABLE FINAL.pdf

See how to build the swappable fuselage here:
    http://flitetest.com/articles/DeltaScratchBuild

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ft flyer - flying2.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	5446

Name:	ft flyer - foam board.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	5452

Name:	ft flyer - parts.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	531.9 KB 
ID:	5451

Name:	ft flyer - tail.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	650.1 KB 
ID:	5440

Name:	ft flyer - built.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	557.7 KB 
ID:	5439

Name:	ft flyer - servos.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	5444

Name:	ft flyer - build2.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	465.7 KB 
ID:	5449

Name:	ft flyer - build1.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	568.2 KB 
ID:	5450

Name:	ft flyer - battery.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	5448

Name:	ft flyer - 1.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	5445

Name:	ft flyer - flying.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	5447

Name:	ft flyer - nutball.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	490.6 KB 
ID:	5443

Name:	ft flyer - ft flyer.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	5442

Name:	ft flyer - delta.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	479.2 KB 
ID:	5441

Nice video! Quick question:

I have the stock bixler engine (rated arround 1800kv) with an 30 amps esc. I would like to use a 6x4 or 5x5 prop with this for your swapable series. Will this work?

No one can help me?
    Last edited by Nonamerc; 08-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    My youtube channel

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only dumb people dont ask dumb questions, smart people ask dumb questions!

Bixler FPV
    Annsman virus 2.0

Anyone?
    My youtube channel

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Only dumb people dont ask dumb questions, smart people ask dumb questions!

Bixler FPV
    Annsman virus 2.0

Broke Multirotor Builder colorex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonamerc View Post
    Anyone?
    Thught you would know... It's a bit on the heavy side, you could make a double scale Swappable series with that motor.
    R450 - SS X2212 980kv :: F-30A ESC+SimonK :: FC 10x4.5 :: 2200mAh 3S :: Naza M Lite+GPS :: MobiusHD
    Bixler - Stock motor :: AE-25A ESC :: TGY 6x4 :: 2200mAh 3S

Quote Originally Posted by colorex View Post
    Thught you would know... It's a bit on the heavy side, you could make a double scale Swappable series with that motor.
    Challenge accepted

(JK first I will need to finish my wing)
    My youtube channel

Bixler FPV
    Annsman virus 2.0

Resposting (with some edits) from Comments section:

I built this over the last couple of weeks and my order of electronics from Hobby King arrived on Tuesday.

There appear to be some errors in the build video regarding measurements. I tried building the undercarriage out of .7 mm wire (14:25 in Delta build video) but it just flops all over the place.

Would you recheck the wire diameter please? It has to be bigger than .7 mm!

Also you show the wheel axles being bent with the voice over saying "an inch and a half" but if you watch carefully (14:36 in Delta build) it is actually .75" I got quite confused here and bent it at 1.5" which looked really odd. Its like the voice over was scripted with out reference to what was going on in the video.

You have in the plans "C.G. IS 20-30% BACK ON CENTER OF WING". Are you able to clarify if this is measured from the front to the back centre of the wing section. My wing is 40cm at the centre line, front to back. So is C.G. then between 8cm and 12cm from the front of the wing front apex?

Still waiting for wind and rain to go away so I can try maidening this. Once I've mastered the basics with this I'll swap in the Delta I've also built. Bring on the fine, almost windless days.

Broke Multirotor Builder colorex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post

Its like the voice over was scripted with out reference to what was going on in the video.
    Here is where you need to be a "DIY" guy. Use whatever works!

And Flite Test isn't scripted, that's why they make this kind of mistakes!
    R450 - SS X2212 980kv :: F-30A ESC+SimonK :: FC 10x4.5 :: 2200mAh 3S :: Naza M Lite+GPS :: MobiusHD
    Bixler - Stock motor :: AE-25A ESC :: TGY 6x4 :: 2200mAh 3S

Quote Originally Posted by colorex View Post
    Here is where you need to be a "DIY" guy. Use whatever works!
    I am a firm believer in the "do it once, do it right" and "measure twice, cut once" school of thought. Peeves me having to redo something, especially when I am following instructions of experts...

But on the other hand this experience is character building, so I might just add hand launching and catching to my expanding range of RC skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    Resposting (with some edits) from Comments section:

I built this over the last couple of weeks and my order of electronics from Hobby King arrived on Tuesday.

There appear to be some errors in the build video regarding measurements. I tried building the undercarriage out of .7 mm wire (14:25 in Delta build video) but it just flops all over the place.

Also you show the wheel axles being bent with the voice over saying "an inch and a half" but if you watch carefully (14:36 in Delta build) it is actually .75" I got quite confused here and bent it at 1.5" which looked really odd. Its like the voice over was scripted with out reference to what was going on in the video.

You have in the plans "C.G. IS 20-30% BACK ON CENTER OF WING". Are you able to clarify if this is measured from the front to the back centre of the wing section. My wing is 40cm at the centre line, front to back. So is C.G. then between 8cm and 12cm from the front of the wing front apex?

Still waiting for wind and rain to go away so I can try maidening this. Once I've mastered the basics with this I'll swap in the Delta I've also built. Bring on the fine, almost windless days.
    I hade similar problem when built my FT-flyer. But it is only a help, make a double landing gear instead. But it is diy so you have to rethink and adjust some specs. After all it is free.

I have not flown my FT-flyer but I think you whant the CG 8-12cm from the front of the wing front edge. That is information from RC-groups forum.

I will try to use the swappable fuselage to build a trainer with ailerons but I am missing the servo´s for that now. But that is a separate forum post for that build.

Well I think I worked out what size wire Scott was meant to say for the undercarriage.

.07 inch (not .7 mm) seems to be rigid enough, and seems to match what he's using in the video.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast