Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Update!

We've been making some strides in our curriculum concept, materials selection and content creation. Many thanks are due to our educational partners at several NJ schools!

Before we let the cat out of the bag on our curriculum concept, we thought we would open up our Co-Creation effort to the educator community at-large if you are an educator and have any interest or opinion regarding an aero-robotics school program like Safety Third Racing Academy, we want to hear from you!

First, check out our preliminary S3RA Fact Sheet.
    - modular program
    - cost estimations based on tried-and-true components team S3 loves
    - quad options on 3rd page focus on "varsity" level racing
    - please do not distribute without permission :P

Then, if you are an educator and feel inspired to become a co-creator, take our online survey!

Even if you're not an educator, or you don't have time for the survey, post your thoughts here!!

Side note, Safety Third had a lot of fun running an indoor FPV demo during Drone Day in Paterson, NJ. Local news even picked it up!
    VP & Team Pilot, Safety Third Racing
    Director, Safety Third Racing Academy

Hangar: Force2Frames 160, ShenDrones Tweaker 180, ZMR 250, Lumenier QAV250 NanoQX

Update!!

The 2016/2017 school year is fast-approaching, and we've started publishing our S3RA Curriculum to SafetyThirdRacing.com/academy!

Stay tuned in the coming week or so for lots more posts:
    - Weekly Missions for S3RA Chapters
    - Additional Program details, curriculum schedule
    - School Chapter features

You'll notice we've decided to use a more open-source content format, pulling from our team's favorite resources (including Flite Test!) to build weekly mission content.

We're still working with a few great teachers to refine our missions and get ready for some quarterly events... more to come!

Hangar: Force2Frames 160, ShenDrones Tweaker 180, ZMR 250, Lumenier QAV250 NanoQX

Update!

Safety Third Racing Academy will be at NYC Maker Faire — Oct. 1 and 2!

- Check out the quads used in the S3RA
    - Check out S3RA chapters' work!
    - Watch a few of the S3RA students fly their quads on the ASL/Safety Third Drone Racing Course!
    - Try out an FPV racing sim
    - Get a nano drone demo, and even try you skills flying one!
    - Chat with the S3RA organizers and get the ball rolling on your S3RA Chapter!

If you've never been to a Maker Faire before, you HAVE to check it out!

Loads of info on the Maker Faire NYC website!

And if you haven't already, check out the Safety Third Racing Academy here.

Just took a peak at the first 3 weeks projects. So far its a nice lead in to the hobby.

Does the class use any type of simulators at all? Maybe tie some assignments or an entire section to sims. Some kids are naturally nimble and have good hand eye coordination others not so much. I kind of scratched my head when I saw you guys were thinking or are using a zmr 250 set up for them to fly. Hopefully there is something in between as that is a lot of fast moving spinning vegomatic of death to put in someone's hand that didn't keep up with the class and or assignments.

Anyway other then that I wish we had more teachers and educators willing to let us get into stuff like this. The closest I had was an elective model flight and rocketry class that was very basic and not well funded to really get a nominal perspective on the hobby. Still I am thankful I had teachers like Mr Caville who were willing to put the time into things like that to open minds and let the creative dream type thinking develop. Good to see more people like him in what you guys are doing. Great work guys.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Thanks for your post, Psyborg. Sorry for the delayed response.

I appreciate your thinking on incorporating sims into the curriculum. Several of the pilots on our community racing team, and several of the students in S3RA Chapters are already doing this on their own. It's a great idea to find ways to tie sims into the weekly missions. Certainly an excellent way to build up some muscle memory before flying (crashing) 250-sized racers! Liftoff seems to work well with the Spektrum transmitters our chapters use, hope the DRL sim supports them in an upcoming update #fingerscrossed.

More than a few teachers/parents/administrators/venue-directors have also balked at the idea of allowing teens to fly "full-sized" quadcopters... something about spinning blades and high speeds must evoke some nightmare-ish visions. By focusing the first 10 weekly missions on nano-sized quads, we're helping the S3RA cadets build flying skills and reflexes - not to mention strategies for diagnosing and fixing - so that when they make the move to a 250-size quad, they'll be doing so in a safe and responsible manner.

We know there are TONS of teachers and students who see the inherent value in quadcopter racing etc., and we're trying to find ways to make its value known to the broader educational community so we can get more kids involved.

Hopefully, by keeping our S3RA curriculum under Creative Commons and by encouraging content co-creation from our S3RA chapters, any group or individual with an internet connection can benefit by starting their own group! Flite Test sets a great example along these lines, with so much excellent, free content for our hobby :P

Thank you so much for this beautiful subject

Make sure you understand that Lift off and DRL are more cartoony sims for learning to fly. It takes work to dial in a quad in DRL to make it feel like a real quad. That will develop bad habits if time is not taken to set them up better. Personally I think FPV Freerider still has the best most realistic physics then any of the other sims by far not to mention the more realistic maps to fly in. Hotprops physics is not too bad either. That is my second go to for the different maps.

Here are examples of both Free rider and Hotprops.

Freerider. All the settings I use are in the description. Just cut the throttle setting down to like 40 and turn on expo (defaulted) and set camera tilt around 20 or so to start them off. Wide field of view makes you seem to go faster. All these people post I am going so fast but their throttle settings are like 35 - 50 range and camera tilt is 20 -25 degrees.

This is hotptops. Again all the settings are in the description. These are more like what real quads feel like but

BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2