Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
    Thanks for the kind words and tips guys!

She's running a PowerUp 370 (2208/14T 1400kV) from Heads Up Hobby with an 8x4 prop.

I do still feel like other forms of putting an airframe together still count as building, but I feel the amount of satisfaction and pride of a good flight increase directly in relation to the amount of time spent on the creation. On the other hand, frustration at a poor flyer also seems to be aligned to hours spent too.
    Last edited by rockyboy; 06-20-2017 at 01:34 AM.
    The table is my friend. The trees, not so much.

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Rocky could you explain the blenderm hinges to me. I have done CA hinges but it appears the control surfaces are too thin to cut in CA hinges. Ive never done a tape hinge and the instructions available online from MM are not terribly clear. Seems like you would run a strip of tape parallel w the hinge line, but looking online it seems people put a few small strips perpendicular to the hinge line and alternate top and bottom. Seems like a few strips of tape is no where near strong enough for a hinge.

A thousand pints of lite. Joker 53150's Avatar
    Blenderm is a tape by 3M, which you can find at hobby shops or even at Hobby King. It's similar to medical/first aid kit tape, but is very flexible in just about any weather condition. I typically use it across the entire area to be hinged, and if the hinged surface is big enough I'll do both sides. It's not invisible, but once the plane is a few feet away or flying, you'll never notice it. It's available in 1/2" and 1" wide rolls, and for something the size of the EVA the narrow roll is perfect. So far I've never had it fail on me, and the first balsa planes I built with it 5 years ago are still going strong.

If the balsa structure is too thin for a regular hinge, like the tail surfaces on the EVA, the tape hinge works great. You can get similar results using covering material or even packing tape for the hinges, but I don't think these are as flexible or as long-lasting as Blenderm.
    Joker

Balsa dust is a wonderful thing, make some today!

Yep - what Joker said.

I also like doing the strip of tape parallel and covering the entire hinge line because it prevents any airflow from getting around on the other side of the control surface at the joint and creating the conditions for flutter.

The alternating up and down tape strips across the join line is when you want a Jacob's Ladder style hinge where the two surfaces are squared instead of one or both being beveled. I haven't had much luck with trying that yet - the two times I ended up with a lot of slop in the joint and went to another hinge type.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/tape-weave-hinges

A whole 'nother hinge type that's interesting to look into is sewn hinges - I did this one one plane and it was very strong, almost no slop, and yet very free moving - before I put the control hinge on the ailerons and elevator just hung straight down when turned the plane over. I'm planning to use this technique again on WWI era models where the canvas look is appropriate.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/i...goin-ol-school
    Last edited by rockyboy; 06-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

I'm reading some of the threads on the EVA Sport while I wait for my kit. I ordered two roles of So-Lite per MM's recommendation. After reading I'm starting to question that decision. Sounds like it's really light, but not durable enough. I _occasionally_ have a rough landing. So are there some other covering options I need to look at as I put my shopping list together? MM has almost no selection of Solarfilm in stock which seems to be recommended over So-Lite.

The plane is plenty strong enough unless you fly it into the side of a building. Then no covering will help. Most of the dislike of SoLite (including mine) is because of the transparency of the so called opaque colors. Only black and blue are mostly opaque. The rest are borderline transparent. I prefer SolarFlim but I've also used a ton of SoLite. Solite is more prone to rips and tears but you can fix them with clear tape. Use the rolls you get and enjoy the build. You'll be just fine with the SoLite.

Joe
    The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....

A thousand pints of lite. Joker 53150's Avatar
    I would (and will) stick with SoLite on planes like this which are designed to be light weight. Standard covering can easily distort, bend, or even break the balsa. Yes, it's lighter weight and can be torn more easily than heavier coverings, but that's the price you pay for a light weight material. During summer flying, when grass and weeds are dry and brittle I've gotten small punctures in the SoLite from the thicker weeds. Fixing it is pretty easy, I just use a little clear Scotch tape.

Some find SoLite a little difficult to work with because it REALLY wants to stick to itself when you peel off the backing. Some talc brushed on fixes that issue quickly, although I've never personally tried it. Quite honestly, I love using the SoLite because it shrinks very well and it's easier to get clean edges than with thicker film. I've got planes that were covered with SoLite 4+ years ago with over 100 flights on 'em, and they are holding up very well.

So my opinion, try it out and risk a rough landing, it's better than shrinking heavier film only to find that you've broken the wing ribs in the process!
    Joker

Balsa dust is a wonderful thing, make some today!

The UltraKote Parklite from hangar 9 is a little easier to work with, and still quite light weight. I just used some on a 42" Dumas Bird Dog. It does stick to itself a little, but nothing like the Solite. The white isn't particularly opaque either, but nothing that light is going to be very opaque.

I love seeing a box of wood turn into something that flys. This is a great thread, some great tips here.

Thanks! It's a fun addiction

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14