Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Fantastic news!

Nic, time to get them to watch your testing videos

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    loa sub pioneer 210a
    loa sub pioneer ts-wx210a

Very interesting. Thank for your post!!!

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    Seems the QC is a bit...interesting...on the current foam

Picked some up a week or two ago, pretty sure it's the latest batch. Noticed the boxes are now 65 sheets instead of 20. Just cut an X-29 and started building it up...but noticed a lot of things fitting oddly. At first I wondered if it was something about the way I cut it - but my parts match the PDF...so I started to wonder if Sponzs had slipped on the PDF's. Then I noticed something on two pieces I glued next to each other:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22014647_10154670797346805_1715601230_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	95314

Both of these sheets came out of the same box (which looked freshly opened since it was still apparently full - though I didn't count to confirm )

The one on the left is barely 3mm thick. The one on the right is over 5mm.

Next trip to dollar tree I'm thinking I may need to bring my calipers. Or at least cut a go/no-go gauge to check thickness with.

On the upside the thin stuff did make forming the X-29 canopy easy...but due to how thin it was it didn't fit against the former.
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

while i'm a stone-cold newbie to building foamies, i've been scratch building balsa planes since the very early 1950's. those were the dayze of nitro paint over stretched silk airframe coverings. yeah, i'm old, and i've built and flown fixed wing model aircraft within nearly every AMA flight discipline.

i looked at some of the old and new DT foam boards a month or so ago (nope, none left, and definitely none bought by me) - they were terrible, all warped and badly rippled. that stuff was pure junk for model plane building.

so i bought a case of FT WR board. yes, shipping is expensive - and just wait 'til you find out how much the rates will go up next year. the double boxed foam arrived and though every single sheet was Dead Flat, all were horribly rippled to the point they would never make viable airframes. i sent pix of the boards to FT and much to my surprise, FT immediately shipped out another box. big kudo's to jen! the new batch was also dead flat, but there was/is a very slight "wave ripple" to all boards. significantly better, but not perfect. it will hafta do just fine.

alas and alack, i suspect that searching for perfectly dead flat non-rippled foam board will be like don quixote's dragon quest. i sure hope i'm wrong. i always looked down on foamies and now the "enemy" is me. foamie building and flying is just too much fun. but clearly at the central heart of this branch of model airplane building is the foam board. without that, building will always be a fight of sorts, and not a flight.

cheers,
    rob.
    Last edited by rfd; 11-05-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Back Ordered

Funny thing is, I got a bunch of plans printed out at Staples, and when I go to Dollar Tree, I discover the DTFB is out of stock nationwide. The manager said they too were trying to figure out why they haven't had the foam board. I guess, the FT water resistant foam board is the best option here.

Buy the foam board from Dollar Tree online by the case and have it drop shipped to your local store (free). The last case of 25 sheets I received is the best quality Adams Readi-Board I have ever used. The box arrived without a dent. One side of the foam is perfectly flat and the waves on the opposite side are hard to see. No warping at all after storing at 65% humidity for two months in my basement workshop.

Jon

DT lists it as back ordered 30 days ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-11-05 04-44-02.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	97557

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    DT lists it as back ordered 30 days ...
    That's very strange. When I add to cart and checkout the same item it is available. I'm one state over from NJ in PA.

it's possible the DT website scans browser IP addresses in order to broadly pinpoint where the user is located. i can see DT thinks my central office is 3 NJ towns away, by zip code, because that's where my verizon fios feed comes from.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20