Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FAI-F1D View Post

If you want a point relative to your above statement, it's this: the risk is relative. Safety procedures being implemented at FF produce a personal risk level on par with that seen in competitive flying. That the rest of the flightline will be shut down during the race actually reduces the risk level (take a trip to the AMA Nationals and you'll understand the significance of this issue.

I am sure you all have done a great job trying to make things as safe as possible plus 10% even. Kudos. Believe me when I say I don't doubt it for a moment. I think all you guys are great (the entrenchment aside). I also hope y'all soon get over hating me for raining on your parade. But I could not stand idly by and let such a horrific oversight go unchecked.

But you my new best friend, have digressed to a factual argument when the argument is purely legal with the facts not in dispute. God love ya. You see a snake.

Better Call Saul

Quote Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
    I am sure you all have done a great job trying to make things as safe as possible plus 10% even. Kudos. Believe me when I say I don't doubt it for a moment. I think all you guys are great (the entrenchment aside). I also hope y'all soon get over hating me for raining on your parade. But I could not stand idly by and let such a horrific oversight go unchecked.
    Your above paragraph successfully disproves itself. You state that we have done a great job on safety and then purport a massive safety failure. Which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
    But you my new best friend, have digressed to a factual argument when the argument is purely legal with the facts not in dispute. God love ya. You see a snake.

Better Call Saul
    Let's set aside the Book of Acts reference that well and truly fails in relevance.

That statement also fails once again by undermining itself. A legal argument cannot exist outside a factual environment. As such, a factual argument is never a digression. Even worse, there has never been a true legal argument in this thread. Referencing AMA insurance concerns does not a legal argument make.
    J&H Aerospace - home of the rocketplanes!

Blog Entries
    *pokes head up from behind bunker*

Dan, could we have some 500+ word maths posts with graphs and diagrams in here to make it more fun to read? Maybe some impact energy calculations and materials density analysis to really dig into the penetrating power of various model designs at different speed envelopes?

Just thinking of ways to liven up this thread a little since it's such a snoozer at the moment....

*ducks behind bunker and stuffs fingers in ears*
    The table is my friend. The trees, not so much.

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Banned
    The circling of the participants. That's the key. Doesn't matter what you or I think about it. What matters is what a judge will say. I don't think you have a "safety failure". I just think that this contingency was not prepared for.

Does this help? When you are circling the participants (i.e. pylon racing), there is a prescribed manner for doing it. The racing rules, AMA safety code.....all of it.

This race wants to do it differently than the prescribed manner. Different to what the insurance companies signed on for. Danger Will Robinson!

Please call Saul.
    Last edited by SlingShot; 02-22-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Posted a thousand or more times willsonman's Avatar
    I think at this point, either way you look at it, this bickering needs to stop. Its not becoming of anyone, has accomplished little progression, and is not the focus of this thread. We have veered way off topic. Those who have wished to voice a concern have done so.

My proposal to FT has been submitted to FT, been generally accepted, and any further refinements to guidelines concerning safety will be dictated by them, as they are the hosts of the event. If they cancel the races altogether, we will accept that and move on to having fun at FTFF in MANY other ways. No hard feelings or offense taken.

Let's all just settle down, breathe, and get back on topic. I'm going to be "that guy" and report any further nastiness to the moderators.
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Bugatti 100p

Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy View Post
    *pokes head up from behind bunker*

Dan, could we have some 500+ word maths posts with graphs and diagrams in here to make it more fun to read? Maybe some impact energy calculations and materials density analysis to really dig into the penetrating power of various model designs at different speed envelopes?

Just thinking of ways to liven up this thread a little since it's such a snoozer at the moment....

*ducks behind bunker and stuffs fingers in ears*
    Speaking of bunkers, I'm thinking of ducking back inside mine. Hey, whatcha flown this week?

There were some awesome thermals out yesterday. My DLG was good at finding them for me. It felt good.

Oh, you wanted calculations? Sorry, no can do.

With apologies since Wilsonman's post went up while I was typing.
    Last edited by FAI-F1D; 02-21-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    J&H Aerospace - home of the rocketplanes!

Banned
    Come on guys. Cheer up! You can still have everything you want. A race with a lot of planes in the air and those death defying low passes that the crowd loves. There is only one thing that would be missing. Being out in the middle of all those planes. Allow me please to offer a personal observation on that subject.

Trying to imagine 15 planes in the air, it's difficult to believe that many participants would find it an enjoyable experience. I think I would be absolutely terrified. That's just me of course. But try to imagine what a stressful environment that would be. Having only 4 planes seemed like a lot. It doesn't sound fun. I don't know what y'all's experiences are with real personal danger, but I've swum with sharks in murky water and hang-glided in a third-world country. This seemed WAAAAAAAY scarier and stressful to me. It's hard to imagine enjoying the flying with such intense pressure at my back. Again. Just me. But whatever I think, there's still a lot to work with here. And a lot of fun to be had. Plenty of time.

Rio de Janeiro. Enjoy

Last edited by SlingShot; 02-21-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Banned
    Badger: Ghostrider, Ghostrider. Badger Actual. Over.

SlingShot: Badger. Ghostrider.

Badger: Ghostrider what is you sitrep over?

SlingShot: Package delivered. (cough) Mission accomplished Sir. We are (cough cough) Romeo-Tango-Bravo.

Badger: Anything wrong son over?

SlingShot: A little shot-up sir. (cough) But it's just a scratch. Four tourniquets and hanging on (cough cough). Should be able to meet at you at the "O" Club by no later than 1800 Admiral over.

Badger: If you can get there by 1730 we can still make happy-hour. Badger out.

SlingShot: Aye-Aye sir! We are go for throttle-up. Ghostrider out.

<and scene>

Laughter is at least a good medicine (if not the best).
    Last edited by SlingShot; 02-22-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Maverick: Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby.

Air Boss
    : Negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
    Last edited by SP0NZ; 02-22-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    -Dan Sponholz

SPONZ - Plans Index

Designs
    : Bloody Baron | Baby Baron | Baby Brit | Ugly Wonder | Bloody Wonder MkIII

Coming Soon: Intruder | Bloody Brit

Banned
    Hot Shots IV -- Duct Tape and a Prayer

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7