Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I use the template method. It's a drag cutting everything out twice but the ease of making spare parts more than makes up for it.

Spurring the Conversation on

Has anyone tried using the pumpkin pattern tracing wheel? Based on doing this on a pumpkin, foam board should be a cinch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPT10-3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	82422
    RTF
    Fixed Wing: FT Tiny Trainer, FT Versa Wing FPV, FT Corsair, FT Simple Soarer, FT Sparrow, nnTigerMoth, Bloody (d20) Baron, AF-X1, FT Sea Duck
    Quad: Spidex 3D, RoboCAT 270, Vtail 210
    Work Bench: : Fixed Wing: VF-9 (Robotech), MESA F-15 Tomcat, , FF Stealth Fighter, CARDGAME
    Working Ideas: Dragonfly-opter (DB), Dragon Ornithopter, Robotech Scram Jet Retired(R)/Destroyed(D): None Yet
    Transmitter: HK-T6A V2, Radiolink AT10

Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I use the template method. It's a drag cutting everything out twice but the ease of making spare parts more than makes up for it.
    I thought sure I was going to get to use a template after bashing the end of a Bloody Baron wing. But, there were enough bits left to design a piece to graft on after making a clean cut of the damaged area.

Anyhow, I like the template method.

Mike

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FoamyDM View Post
    Has anyone tried using the pumpkin pattern tracing wheel? Based on doing this on a pumpkin, foam board should be a cinch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NPT10-3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	82422
    No erasing mistakes
    Be safe and have fun,
    Tommy

Damn some of you guys seem to go through so much work. I am old school. I printer the out tiles. Cut them and tape them together. Glue them to the board with an roll on stick glue. Cut them out with a razor blade and then assemble. The plans are only used once. Then I have to print more. Speed build kit are so much easier but at a cost of course. I've got stacks of printed plans I'll probably never build. My favorite FT models are the Tiny Trainer, FT Flyer, and Storch. I've scratch built the hell out of these 3 planes.
    If you don't crash you aren't trying hard enough!!!

Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
    Damn some of you guys seem to go through so much work. I am old school. I printer the out tiles. Cut them and tape them together. Glue them to the board with an roll on stick glue. Cut them out with a razor blade and then assemble. The plans are only used once. Then I have to print more. Speed build kit are so much easier but at a cost of course. I've got stacks of printed plans I'll probably never build. My favorite FT models are the Tiny Trainer, FT Flyer, and Storch. I've scratch built the hell out of these 3 planes.
    I used to do that. I got tired of taping them together. And anything I learned during the build got lost. Now I just
    write on the template.

Mike

-Dan Sponholz

SPONZ - Plans Index

Designs
    : Bloody Baron | Baby Baron | Baby Brit | Ugly Wonder | Bloody Wonder MkIII

Coming Soon: Intruder | Bloody Brit

Quote Originally Posted by SP0NZ View Post
    Plus One for this. As soon as I read the article I started using this method and haven't looked back. My Tiny Trainer "folder" has the basic Tiny Trainer, but also several modifications I codified into templates. Works so well.

Quote Originally Posted by TEAJR66 View Post
    No erasing mistakes
    un-eraseable marks can be scary

Your mistakes are on the inside of the plane. To me there would be no more or less than an with an exacto as I'd use a straight edge . The spur/pattern tracer was an idea that sewers use. I thought I would offer a suggestion used by pattern makers of another ilk for the poor souls trying to mark out patterns with a pin.

I am personally spoiled, and print the plans full sized. I cut and loop tape them to the DTFB. Then use the #11 bladed exacto. I just print more if I need another plane. I image the taping of say, the sea duck, printed 8 1/2"x11" would get old.
    RTF
    Fixed Wing: FT Tiny Trainer, FT Versa Wing FPV, FT Corsair, FT Simple Soarer, FT Sparrow, nnTigerMoth, Bloody (d20) Baron, AF-X1, FT Sea Duck
    Quad: Spidex 3D, RoboCAT 270, Vtail 210
    Work Bench: : Fixed Wing: VF-9 (Robotech), MESA F-15 Tomcat, , FF Stealth Fighter, CARDGAME
    Working Ideas: Dragonfly-opter (DB), Dragon Ornithopter, Robotech Scram Jet Retired(R)/Destroyed(D): None Yet
    Transmitter: HK-T6A V2, Radiolink AT10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2