Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    I'm a care bear...Really? CrashRecovery's Avatar

Flitetest DIY Gremlins

Ok gang, the news is out. The mini gremlins have arrived. I can attest to the little frames being a sweet little kit. Here is where we the fans come into play. I am sure there will be a few frames from FT, but what can we design? What materials do you want to use? Do you guys want pre-cut spare frames or do you want to do it yourself? Let's get these popular and they might just give the tiny whoop a run for its money!
    That's not a drone. That's an MCI - a Multirotor Controlled by an Idiot.

So what you're proposing is we get creative about making a sort of DIY FT Whoop?
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Looking forward to these I'm thinking of doing one with a blade guard in a classic 50s UFO style
    I want YOU to join us in the 2018 Flite Test Forum WWII Design/Build Challenge!

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

I'm thinking of getting away from brushed quads so I was considering starting with an Inductrix 200 controller board and building up from there. I do like the Inductrix 200's slim profile and enclosed props but dislike the proprietary battery and the price.
    Truths in life:
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

I don't build quads...yet. But, I'm planning on designing a 3D printed frame for that EMAX electronics pack. It may not ever turn into something that anyone else wants, but I think it will be a very fun and worthwhile learning experience for me. I'm really looking forward to this new era of DIY brushless micro quads!
    -Dan Sponholz

SPONZ - Plans Index

Designs
    : Bloody Baron | Baby Baron | Baby Brit | Ugly Wonder | Bloody Wonder MkIII

Coming Soon: Intruder | Bloody Brit

I'm way too excited for these. The flight characteristics are amazing for the size. Calculated 480g of thrust and the first rendition of the frame I designed AUW with a hyperion 2s 450mah battery was 84g AUW LOL.

It really makes for an enjoyable experience and so far even the wood frames have been unbreakable due to the light weight.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for their Gremlins. If you're sharing on social media and use hash-tags be sure to use something like #FTGremlin in your pictures so we can keep track of them as they come along!

Posted a thousand or more times jhitesma's Avatar
    I've been seriously considering something like this ... the emax packs seem to have all sold out everywhere as soon as they were released...and I'm planning on doing the original pico blx controller anyway since dRonin just added preliminary support for it this week. So I'll probably be looking at something like the racerstart 1103's but haven't made up my mind just yet.

Debating if I want to cut a frame from ply or lexan...and definitely want to so some kind of prop-guards for inside flying. The hoverfly nano looks nice...but with a CNC and 3D printer I just can't bring myself to buy a frame right now

Looking forward to seeing what all everyone comes up with while I make up my mind about which direction I want to go
    Stop in and say hi in the unofficial FT IRC channel!

I'm a care bear...Really? CrashRecovery's Avatar
    If you couldn't tell from the video the frames can be super small. I was at fthq when Chad whipped up a frame in like 30 minutes. So I think the FTGREMLIN is going to be an awesome fan based project.
    I'm a little bummed there is only 7 posts total in here with over 80 views of the thread.
    What are some of the other ideas for frame materials? is someone going to try and be crazy and make a micro octocopter? Come on gang lets get the idea going!!!!!
    That's not a drone. That's an MCI - a Multirotor Controlled by an Idiot.

I have been looking at smaller brush less set ups just for something like this. I am not sure if I could afford to get the kit right off and may have to piece it together over time but I been wanting something small like that for a while. I was thinking of using those little mini neon acrylic clip boards and cutting a frame design from that. Priming one side and drilling holes to mount led's in so they glow out the edges more then light up the whole frame.

I will be looking into the Blackwidow motors with the esc's built in. Rockyboy turned me on to one for the Baby Baron and suggested them for quad use. So far I am impressed with the set up. I was also toying with the idea after getting ice cream from the truck dude over the summer that had round hard plastic hollow sticks that would make perfect mini Versa copter booms that may need to be build at some point.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

I suppose lexan would look cool but how readily available is that? Hobby plywood sounds good too. Either of those could be cut with a hobby saw.

I assume we want to try to keep this within reach of the frugal hobbyist. What are our goals for the build? 2S? Brushless? FPV? Flight enduance?

Is this here the start of this idea or has this been batted around elsewhere?
    Truths in life:

Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast