Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    So cool to see the real progress you are making!

Cheers!
    LitterBug

Quote Originally Posted by LitterBug View Post
    So cool to see the real progress you are making!

Cheers!
    LitterBug

Real progress and real explosions lol.

It was dead calm, and that runway has too many cracks for long takeoff runs. Couldn't get auto rotation going in those conditions so I decided to gun it and see what would happen. On the bright side, the airframe was fine, and I just glued the blades back together. Probably not something that could have been done with wood lol.

Next attempt I will use the autostart, or I'll just go for it if the day is windy.

Are the blades just attached by a shaft thru a hole? It looked like it had some wobble in the spin up video that produced some binding. If you don't have bearings in that blade grip assembly to the shaft I think you might want to do that and some thrust washers to keep everything aligned. With out bearings it can also end up in that scenario we discussed with the clutch and possibly heat weld itself.
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBorg View Post
    Are the blades just attached by a shaft thru a hole? It looked like it had some wobble in the spin up video that produced some binding. If you don't have bearings in that blade grip assembly to the shaft I think you might want to do that and some thrust washers to keep everything aligned. With out bearings it can also end up in that scenario we discussed with the clutch and possibly heat weld itself.
    There is a 623zz bearing in the head unit. The wobble you were seeing was from me not having it tight, I tighted things up a bit when I put it on the explorer frame. I figured things would stabilize just fine when you're in the air, as the lift from the blades would pull the stop/driveline up against the bearing and the slop would be gone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headbearing1.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	84484

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headbearing2.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	84485

I've considered adding a second bearing to the top so that I could do like you suggested with thrust washers. If it has problems I'll do so, just didn't want to increase the weight or complexity too much.

Seems like you may have to widen the gear out quite a bit to counter the shifting weight of the blades at lower rpm so it doesn't waddle down the runway until head speed build enough to be an actual disk or "Wing" If you look at real auto's they have a wide stance too.

How well are them blades balanced hot off the printer?
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Seems like you may have to widen the gear out quite a bit to counter the shifting weight of the blades at lower rpm so it doesn't waddle down the runway until head speed build enough to be an actual disk or "Wing" If you look at real auto's they have a wide stance too.

How well are them blades balanced hot off the printer?
    I widened things a good bit more, but I think I could go even wider.

Blades seem to be perfectly balanced right off the printer. They're identical in weight and plastic doesn't have he same variations that wood and such do. Vertical spin test shows no heavy blades, so I'm very happy.

Repeat-ability is a key to success on things like blades so that's a huge plus.

Very cool project I just ordered the same printer, I'm pretty excited... Waiting the 7-8 weeks might just kill me. This is definitely going on the list, assuming I survive the wait

Quote Originally Posted by ElectriSean View Post
    Very cool project I just ordered the same printer, I'm pretty excited... Waiting the 7-8 weeks might just kill me. This is definitely going on the list, assuming I survive the wait
    Yeah, it's a long wait. I'm on the list for another one... One printer can't keep up with all the things I need to print and test lol.

Repeat-ability is a key to success on things like blades so that's a huge plus.
    That's one of the nice thing about 3D printing. It may not be the fastest technology in the world, but if your printer is tuned well, you get the same quality and consistency for every part.

So, my widened out landing gear would have worked well if I could have stayed on the airstrip. I had wind this time, a little too much of it, and gusts from random directions. Checked after the fact and saw the gusts were hitting 17mph. A bit fast for an auto-gyro with this power level.

Blades seem to be quite tough, which is another plus. I'm not worried about them falling apart while spinning anymore. Of course, no blades would have survived that last crash.

I'm building another air-frame for round two of testing. I already had a Mighty Mini version of the FT Explorer drawn up from this winter:

Attachment 84545

Attachment 84546f

So I'm taking that with a few tweaks to make a clone of the Hobbyking Auto-G. I'll also be integrating the start assist into the mast for a clean build. All critical control surfaces and parts will be placed as close to the Auto-G locations as I can get them. I think that will get me the best opportunity for success.

You can see the MM Explorer Conversion with Auto-G sized and styled tail feathers:

Attachment 84547

That servo is in an odd spot, but after I figure out how things will balance it will be able to be moved. To start, this will be a tractor setup, but I'd like to keep the option open for pusher as well.

Quote Originally Posted by localfiend View Post
    Yeah, it's a long wait. I'm on the list for another one... One printer can't keep up with all the things I need to print and test lol.
    I'm hoping that one day they'll offer a hardware package, everything but the printed parts. Should cut the wait times down, and I bet they'd sell a ton of them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast