Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    A thousand pints of lite. Joker 53150's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexMechsRobot View Post
    Wait, that's how big it is? My wife is gonna kill me....
    That wing is for the BoT "Lite" kit, about half the size of the regular BoT. The Lite is only available special order, so figure almost double that size for your build.

Just kidding. Yeah, it's huge.
    Joker

Balsa dust is a wonderful thing, make some today!

Hah!

I did know the size before I bought it but seeing it in scale.....I didn't really put the 118" into perspective and I know my wife didn't. Any chance that Willsonman is shorter than average? Like 3' or so?

A thousand pints of lite. Joker 53150's Avatar
    He's really a dwarf, you're in the clear!
    Joker

Balsa dust is a wonderful thing, make some today!

That thing is beautiful! Just tell your wife it's the new decoration for the ceiling...I think my wife would be concerned too...
    Too many airplanes and not enough time...

Builder Extraordinare willsonman's Avatar
    Looking forward to this a lot!
    "It'll fly... probably"

Current active build:
    Spacewalker (HobbyKing Sponsored)
    Shameless YouTube plug
    Shameless shop plug

Quote Originally Posted by Craftydan View Post
    Nice Choice! From what I've read, Dave Thornberg was a somewhat recent convert to the "Lead sled" school of thought when he designed her -- heavy so she can be fast outside of lift, efficient so she can climb well once in it -- and really set the bar high with this classy bird.

Looking forward to the build log

I've been reading through some Build logs on the BoT and it looks like almost everyone practically recuts the kit using much lighter stock. I don't have a lot of experience with sailplanes besides old school floaters but it makes me beg the question, wonder how big of a difference it would really make to the sport flier? Some builds have some pretty significant weight taken out.

All of the build I saw that removed wood were several years ago. I have read somewhere that post 2012 or so, the kits have much better wood in them. I don't really know enough about wood selection to be able to confidently do better than what comes in the kit. I plan to just build it with the materials provided. I'm not looking to compete with it so the differences shouldn't matter to me too much.

I'm kinda on the same page as far as what I would like the finished product to do. In my case we have very few days that are wind free so a little extra weight for penetration may be a good thing. Are you planning to add any additional features to the plane (flaps, spoilers)?

I bought the flaps/spoilers kit from RCAirMods.com and plan to install those but only use the spoilers. They are built for the ARF wing so I may have to make some modifications but we'll see.

I'm actually really close to finishing the projects that were holding me from starting this. There's a decent chance that I begin working on this within 2 weeks.
    Last edited by TexMechsRobot; 03-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.

I would love to see the wings when your into the build. Maybe Dana and I could stop by for a visit in a month of so when your into the build? I am trying to soak up as much info before I start my balsa build. I'm just finishing building my magnetic build system/fixtures and will put somd pics up when done. But, I dont think I will start a balsa build for a while as we need to get busy on some remodeling projects first.
    Too many airplanes and not enough time...

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast