Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Absolutely. Maybe we can do a double date dinner and then come here for coffee and desert. I know Amy would be up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jsknockoff View Post
    I've been reading through some Build logs on the BoT and it looks like almost everyone practically recuts the kit using much lighter stock. I don't have a lot of experience with sailplanes besides old school floaters but it makes me beg the question, wonder how big of a difference it would really make to the sport flier? Some builds have some pretty significant weight taken out.
    It's common, but IMO, ill advised for soaring -- as you've said, trading weight for penetration is a good thing. Light and floaty excels on the beautiful day where the thermals are the only source of wind and they're big fat and lazy . . . then there's the rest of the year, where the lead-sleds will clean their clock on the narrow wind-blown thermals with sink all around. The lead-sled pilot has the speed and the legs to run from sink, where light and floaty is dragged down the first hole it wanders by. Being able to adjust this wildly with ballast is a more modern approach . . . but that's a concept that was only just being explored back in the BoT's era.

As for surfaces and mods, IMO, she's at her best as an electric RES ship (Rudder/Elevator/Spoilers) -- Kudos Tex, on your taste Although ailerons and flaps aren't impossible by a long shot, It's kinda like putting a modern fuel injected engine into a classic 50's Muscle car. Sure you get more power . . . but at what cost?
    Crafty Dan
    -<-' ~~~

I got the plans scanned today and printed off an extra set. So I now have the original plans they sent, a pdf copy, and a copy that I can cut up and destroy as needed.

Here's a picture of the plans with a 24" ruler for scale. This project is going to be a blast :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33541704721_dee859f661_k.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	672.2 KB 
ID:	84851

This is a picture of all of the parts I ordered from RCAirMods.com. Not sure if I'll use them all so we'll see.

Name:	33555639546_1fe0cbdce3_k.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	84853
    Last edited by TexMechsRobot; Yesterday at 12:52 AM.

Those plans are huge! Whats the dims on the plans? Im wondering if my building system is even large enough for this. This might be a fun build after the other three I have in mind.
    Non-Current Real world Cessna 172SP pilot, rookie RC pilot...

Studying the plans, whats the rubber band for in the nose section of fuse?

Quote Originally Posted by nhk750
    Those plans are huge! Whats the dims on the plans? Im wondering if my building system is even large enough for this. This might be a fun build after the other three I have in mind.
    60" x 36" for the plans. Too big for my system as well. I'm going to have to figure out a plan to make it work...

Quote Originally Posted by nhk750 View Post
    Studying the plans, whats the rubber band for in the nose section of fuse?
    It holds the hatch down. Pretty ingenious solution IMHO.

That will fit my new magnetic system as you only build ond wing at a time anyway, so 60" per wing would just fit. Maybe next year I will think about this after I see yours and how it comes out.

I saw this pic and looked pretty cool, unless you crashed on takeoff!

Name:	IMG_2583.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	84861

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3