Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hbb3367 View Post
    Mine balances perfect at the second ridge of the wing...
    Thats where I thought it was, thanks! The Build directions were weak on explaing this. This means I'm still slightly tail heavy. I dont feel like messing with the motor mounts so I'm going to add a little more nose weight or possibly a heavier spinner.
    Too many airplanes and not enough time...

Old and Bold RC PILOT
    On the matter of adding nose weights, I have found that a few heavy washers in the spinner between the prop and the locking nut are equal to almost twice as much weight in lead in the power pod on short nose designs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexMechsRobot View Post
    And when it does stop raining it's usually too windy to enjoy. I feel like I'm fighting just to keep it in the air and not really enjoying the time. Towards the end of April or May the wind starts to cooperate and then July, August, and September are just perfect for flying.
    Yes that is true, it has been windy when nice, but that being said, I have gotten a lot of flying in this winter, probably every other week a battery or two in between rain storms. My Tiny Trainer is perfect for going out in the football field near my house for a quick spin now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Lee View Post
    On the matter of adding nose weights, I have found that a few heavy washers in the spinner between the prop and the locking nut are equal to almost twice as much weight in lead in the power pod on short nose designs.
    Nice idea! I will try that first. I think I just need a little to put me over the top.

I've been having balance issues on my scratch built Sportster too. I use the CG marks provided on the plans.

Hai-Lee has provided quite a few good ideas on my thread that might be worth you trying too: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...307-Dry-weight

Nice, thanks for the link. I learned a lot with this thread!

FIXED CG!

It took a month to get this 3$ (5$ With shipping) part from China through Hobby King, but it was worth the wait! Nice quality 30mm spinner that added enough weight to the nose to finally fix my cg issue. I now know why my tail is so heavy too. I used oversized bbq skewers and also added a tail skid. So now my CG is perfect, according to the build specs. I just need a day without wind, rain, and honey doos to fly. I bet this Sporster will handle nice now, especially with all that power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2674.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	592.8 KB 
ID:	86511

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2675.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	549.5 KB 
ID:	86512

Finally got to fly it today and perfect cg! It fly's really good now, but I hit a gas pipe on landing at our local club (old landfill has pipes sticking out of ground), so I packing taped up the wing tip and it fly's great again. Maybe it is because this is my first low wing, but I think I have more fun with high wings. This Sportster does have a good roll rate though. I am still not sure I like this airframe design that much though, maybe it will grow on me.

With my Aerodrive motor upgrade it has unlimited vertical and hovers (I cant hover very good though) and also performs a knife edge pretty good. I am sure a pro could pull of any aerobatics with it now and it is a good aerobatic trainer for me.

Old and Bold RC PILOT
    Congratulations!

You build nice.

Enjoy your creation!

Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2