Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CCW or CW

Quote Originally Posted by Try-n-glide View Post
    I ordered a "CCW" motor for a scratch build. What I got was a motor that turns CW with CCW threads.

Next time I order a "CW" motor (different brand) thinking it means CW thread. What I got is a motor intended to turn CW with CCW threads.

So now I have two models running backwards motors. So I guess with quad motors you have different companies that specify CW or CCW based on either threads or intended motor direction with no apparent standard.

......of course they cam from Hobby King so that their descriptions on the web leave something to be desired is no surprise.

I just ordered some backwards props and they fly just fine. Would be annoying as hell if I had built in right thrust though.
    If you put the nut on the shaft and turn the motor by hand you should see why CW motors have left hand threads. It's by design intended to help keep nuts from working loose.
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCR120 View Post
    If you put the nut on the shaft and turn the motor by hand you should see why CW motors have left hand threads. It's by design intended to help keep nuts from working loose.

Yes, the thread thing I understand. My complaint was the lack of consistency in description. Motors advertised as CW or CCW may have either CW or CCW threads without any way to distinguish based on the description. One company describes CW or CCW based on the thread, and another advertises CW or CCW based on the intended direction of rotation in which case the threads are the opposite.

I understand. Not meeting expectations is what drives us all mad.
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Quote Originally Posted by pressalltheknobs View Post
    This is much more important for RC plane gas motors because they cannot be made to run backwards.
    not to be that pedantic wonk but....if you have a piston port 2 stroke with symmetrical ports it's actually as easy as reversing the ignition timing. Of course you still have the issue of the threads on the prop shaft now spinning the nut loose. Rotary valve 2 strokes cannot be reversed.

On a 4 stroke, you have to have a new cam made in mirror image to the original cam and then change the ignition timing. Real Boats do it all the time with chevy 350s.

There used to be kits to reverse direction of old OS engines for use in pusher applications. There are also engines like the Super tiger which you can reverse direction by rotating the output or prop shaft casing (I assume because they are internally gear driven off the crank).

anybody who has ever had more than a few runs on the old .049 cox engines with spring starters can tell you once the ignition plate gets a little worn it is an occasional hazard that the prop kicks back and the engine starts running poorly the other way. Happened to me on an old Cox control line piper Comanche.

when reversing an engine from it's original direction it's not the worst idea to safety wire the prop nut to the prop. This way the inertia of the prop changing direction on the shaft will tighten the nut as it swings. If too small to drill the nut and propshaft for safety wire, you can always pal nut it (use a second nut and tighten it into the first one) to buy you a little extra safety.

Anyway, CCW = counter clockwise, you can reverse direction on an e-motor by reversing the polarity, and don't pee into the wind.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 10-17-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Sorry for being dense but looking to get an emax motor for a mini plane. I want to use the various props that I have now that work on my other FT planes. Is this motor labeled as CW shaft rotation the correct one to get? Thanks!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/emax-rs2...-rotation.html

Quote Originally Posted by jpot1 View Post
    Sorry for being dense but looking to get an emax motor for a mini plane. I want to use the various props that I have now that work on my other FT planes. Is this motor labeled as CW shaft rotation the correct one to get? Thanks!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/emax-rs2...-rotation.html
    For a plane you should use the CCW then you can use noemal Nuts for the prop. The CW will also work with lock nut.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2