Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Argh! So it happened again on the Mini Mustang, this time without the RunCam attached.

I was using the same ESC but a different motor. All the solder joints on the bullet connectors look to be ok.

I'll get it all unpacked on the bench tonight, but I'm starting to wonder whether I'm over-propped with the 6045.

Quote Originally Posted by cranialrectosis View Post
    ImpulseRC is Soma (RCGroups Soma). This is the guy who invented the WarpQuad and the Alien. His neighbors are Blackout. I have ordered from Soma several times always with good results in both service and quality.
    I thought the name sounded familiar! It was only when I went to the site and saw the logo that it clicked

Quote Originally Posted by mrf View Post
    Argh! So it happened again on the Mini Mustang, this time without the RunCam attached.

I was using the same ESC but a different motor. All the solder joints on the bullet connectors look to be ok.

I'll get it all unpacked on the bench tonight, but I'm starting to wonder whether I'm over-propped with the 6045.
    From what I've read, a 6030 prop pulls 11-plus Amps with similar 1806 motors so I would imagine a 6045 might be over the top. Can't hurt to try a 6030 or 5045 prop but you would know for sure with a wattmeter.
    My website: tazrc.com

Ban "Tip Stalls!" earthsciteach's Avatar
    That motor should handle a 6045 on 3s. If anything you should be frying the esc. Is the motor rubbing on anything? Have you tried with a different esc?
    Self-appointed Flite Test Forum Ambassador

Official Winner of the Flite Test Forum STOL Build Contest

Good point on the rubbing. Mounting screws could be too long.

P.s. Many posts on RCGroups say the Emax 1806 runs too hot with 6045 prop (15-plus Amps on 3S) but a wattmeter will tell you for sure.
    Last edited by TazRC; 04-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks again for the input all.

The motor was pretty warm to the touch when I picked it up. I will check out the screws as that is a common element between the two runs. I did check them when I attached the motor though and I couldn't see anything fouling, but that could just be me not looking properly

I'll see what I can find with a Watt meter, might have to shop online as I'm in regional Australia. Is it something that you test on the bench, or in the air?

How about that, there's an episode on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1k5ouQHMgc

Kite Eating Tree Trimmer cranialrectosis's Avatar
    I have run a quad copter and a tiny trainer on emax 1806 2300 kv motors on 3s with 6045s for years. Never had any trouble.

I concur with earthsciteach. If the solder joints are good and you don't have a twitchy motor, look for mounting screws too long or the bell rubbing on something. You may have an ESC out of time but I think you would hear it and see it desynch.
    Freiheit schöner götterfunken tochter aus elysium!

Looks like mrf's got you covered. But you can test in the air too, lol.

Think I may have found the cause of the problem!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8391.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	86139

Looks like the motor has got too hot and melted through the plastic shielding of the connectors :S

So I guess that means I'm driving the motor too hard with the 6045, or that I should have paid the .50c extra and got a genuine Emax rather than a cheapo rip off (or a combination of the 2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2