Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thunder Tiger Trainer – Repair, Refurbish and Conversion to Electric Power

I purchased on craigslist this Thunder Tiger Trainer N40TT which included a FM transmitter and a small box of miscellaneous parts. The plane is really old, dusty and rusty. It needs repair to the wing covering and a major repair to the horizontal stabilizer. I wanted the experience of refurbishing a balsa plane and the price was right so I decided to take on the challenge.

Here are photos from the craigslist ad.

Overall view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00n0n_7PswgKwSvxh_1200x900.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	86153

View of damaged horizontal stabilizer.

Name:	00K0K_2dog7a1hiJN_1200x900.jpg 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	86154
    Last edited by CheapSunglasses; 04-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.

A thousand pints of lite. Joker 53150's Avatar
    Looks like a good starting platform. How is the rest of the structure?
    Joker

Balsa dust is a wonderful thing, make some today!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker 53150 View Post
    Looks like a good starting platform. How is the rest of the structure?
    The wing and fuselage are good. I'm just worried about the tail feathers. The vertical stabilizer also has a crack along the leading edge.

Name:	IMG_1945.JPG 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	86160

Is that vertical stab fully sheeted, or is that covering? If it's sheeted you may be able to get by squeezing a little glue in there. The safe money says to tear into it and make sure it's secure, otherwise your flight may be a little short!
    Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Joker 53150 View Post
    Is that vertical stab fully sheeted, or is that covering? If it's sheeted you may be able to get by squeezing a little glue in there. The safe money says to tear into it and make sure it's secure, otherwise your flight may be a little short!
    It appears to be a solid piece of balsa. Right now I'm planning to glue and/or place a piece of heavy duty packing tape along the leading edge.

I removed the nitro engine, throttle servo, fuel tank, FM receiver and switch, landing gear and control rods. After removing the old hardware, I thoroughly cleaned the plane. I used Simple Green cleaner with a micro fiber cloth to remove the dirt, dust and grime. I blew out the interior of the fuselage with canned air. I put the remainder of the plane (airframe with three servos) on a scale and it weighed 2lbs 1 oz.

Fuselage interior before.

Name:	IMG_1948.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	86175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1949.JPG 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	86176

Fuselage interior after.

Name:	IMG_1965.JPG 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	86177

I don't like to keep stuff that I'll never use and I also don't like to throw stuff away that someone else could use. So I placed two ads on eBay. One for the engine parts and one for the transmitter parts. Bidding starts at $5 for each. I'll find out if one man's junk is another man's treasure...

Engine parts main photo on eBay.

Name:	IMG_1970.JPG 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	86280

Transmitter parts main photo on eBay.

Name:	IMG_1981.JPG 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	86281

Good luck with your sale. I did something similar with a plane I bought at a swap meet - I wanted the plane, but not the nitro engine that was in it, so I asked the internet if it was worth anything. The engine was un-used and had no muffler, and to me it was a paperweight. Turns out it was a desirable brand/size/vintage and sold for more than I paid for the entire plane!
    Joker

I tested the throttle servo that I removed from the plane and it did not work, so I decided to do some internet research on Airtronics servos. I found out that the Airtronics servos on this plane have the older type connectors and that their wiring configuration is different than “standard” modern day servos. I switched the wires at the connectors by pushing on the tabs with a T-pin. Once I changed the servos to the “standard” wiring configuration they all worked fine. Now that the servos are working, I plan on using them instead of replacing with new ones. I’ll keep the throttle servo as a spare.

Good catch, I ran into the same issue with a 1/4 scale Cub I rebuilt last year.
    Joker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast