Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Old and Bold RC PILOT
    It is sad that you are having such issues.

Firstly When taking off do NOT do so at the first opportunity or you may crash let the speed build up so you have better control response when it starts flying.

The sudden climb sounds like a CG or a thrust angle issue. Possibly increase the down angle but this should not be to much of an issue unless you are trying to take off at too slow a speed.

If you want to fly without resorting to the use of EXPO reduce the control surface throws. This will help reduce the "Overcontrolling" and porpoising during flight and the apparent "Unexpected" rolls and dives into the ground.

Contrary to what you might expect a Fast take off, high speed circuits and a fast landing give you the best control because the control surfaces require airspeed to work properly and the faster the air moves the more positive the control you will have.

Do not try to cruise around the circuit at very low speed because you will lose control surface authority and possibly stall and crash. Unfortunately a common newbie mistake.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjdstewart View Post
    see, things like this would be nice to have explained a little better in their build videos.
    Yes, as I was saying, they do tend to gloss over a few things.

what are you suggesting for throw and expo?
    The plans have a throw gauge, use that. If you don't have expo then just be gentle with your thumbs.

ok, it was WAY to windy at the field this morning to test fly it. was able to get the micro p-51, the radain 2M, and alpha in the air. that alpha is just amazing. hoping to capture flight video from it tomorrow.

i did however add some rubber bands to help secure the pod, and built a simple CG calculator to ensure i was in the ballpark. i'd say i'm right where they ask for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170506_160336.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	87094

and the prop shots...

Name:	20170506_160411.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	87095

Name:	20170506_160423.jpg 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	87096

i also programed in 25% EXPO into my remote. see what happens in the morning.

thanks,

jason

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Yes, as I was saying, they do tend to gloss over a few things.
    ya, myself i would really like written as well as video plans

The plans have a throw gauge, use that. If you don't have expo then just be gentle with your thumbs.
    yes, i did check that and i am almost full throw at high rate, maybe 1 degree off.

thanks,

jason

yes, i did check that and i am almost full throw at high rate, maybe 1 degree off.
    I'd start off with low rates until you get the hang of it.

sorry, misspoke. i have almost full low rate, the max travel, correct?

i tried 5 times again this sunday to fly the plane. still has a bad right turn, nose high after take off, some input to try and correct, then crash.

flight instructor noted that the angle of the crease on my wing may be more extreme on the left side creating the right throw. i believe, i have corrected that problem. i also checked all of the kids planes today and they all look solid.

i also completely rebuilt a new power pod and bulkhead. i was able to sneak the motor a little farther back into the fuselage when installed.

i also re-checked CG. it will balance just nose heavy, right where they ask. i also checked lateral CG, maybe a little heavy left, but with the current flight situation is that bad?

may try and fly tomorrow and will hopefully remember to bring a camera.

thanks,

jason

Is the wing and the horizontal stabilser in line? In the first photo it looks like you might have a twist to the right in the tail.

the poor plane has been crashed so many times it's hard to say what is in line, and what is out. visually it looks good. tried to fly again today after watching all 3 of my kids plane fly, it crashed just the same. guess i did something wrong in build. i was very relieved when all 3 maidened and landed without issue. after my issues i was a little nervous.

laters,

jason

pics of their planes....

Name:	JS8791A.jpg 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	87514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JS8809A.jpg 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	87515Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JS8822A.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	87516

Still Learning
    That's great that the kids' planes flew! Congrats!

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast