Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hey Randy,
    I like these builds you're sharing.

Are you coming to FFE this year?
    —Jim
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCR120 View Post
    Hey Randy,
    I like these builds you're sharing.

Are you coming to FFE this year?
    óJim
    I live in CA and went to FFW this year so no, I have no plans to go to FFE. Thanks for the support on the build. After the B-17 I plan to do a large but simple 8' span VTOL tail sitter. I want to document a build that is actually reasonable to build at FF in a day. After 2 weekends and a week of evenings I just finished the airframe of the B-17. It is reasonable to build it at home and then bring is disassembled, but I would say it is not reasonable to build at FF unless it was a team build, and even then it would take up most of FF. I can't imagine going to FF and then spending the entire time building, so the challenge is to come up with something that gets people excited but can still be built in a day. At least this build will do a good job for showcasing a number of flat plate foam build techniques once I document it fully.

Motor pods, motors, and all wing wiring installed. I can now begin "final" assembly including the radio install. Other than the logistics due to the size of the thing it should be pretty easy. I will have to make a servo extension for the elevator servos. Hopefully I can just buy, or already have the necessary extensions for the aileron servos. Both the elevator and aileron servos will use Y harnesses just because there is no reason not to.

The main power harness is hopefully the last of the soldering but I won't make it until I can install the batteries and test for CG. I am guessing 4 batteries in parallel, but if I have to use 5 or 6 that is no problem. It will just make for a very long flight time. Weight is not good, but if I have to install weight it might as well be batteries. The current target weight is 9 pounds.

I think it is mildly humorous that the motors fit the full scale profile as the spinners!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2181.JPG  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3