Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

UPDATE

Motor Mount:
    I created the motor mount to space the motor away from the first former. This allows it to protrude slightly from the plastic engine cowling and provide enough room for the prop to spin. I also incorporated a small amount of angling that I modeled from the Flite Test power pods to prevent torque rotation. I then braced the motor mount with struts and I can assure you that motor mount isn't going anywhere!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170528_190313.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	88422

Cutting Space for the Central Wing Servo:
    Because I decided to control the ailerons via a central servo and torque rods, I had to cut space in the fuselage to accommodate. I didn't like the idea of cutting out a piece from one of the plane's "backbones," but it was the only way to fit the servo. I then reinforced the area with more struts to prevent torsion of the fuselage that could be caused by the motor torque.

Name:	20170528_190405.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	88423

Name:	20170528_190444.jpg 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	88424

Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder
    I was able to run out to the craft store on Saturday and they had a nice selection of Revell balsa wood to choose from. I picked out a relatively straight 1/8" piece to cut out the vertical stabilizer and rudder. I used the plans from the kit to cut out each piece. I also went ahead and sanded both of them as well as the elevator and horizontal stabilizer with 220 grit sandpaper.

Name:	20170528_190218.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	88425

So it is all coming together nicely! I am very pleased with the planes look so far. I was even able to stuff all the electronics into the battery hatch compartment instead of the cockpit, so I am very happy about that!

Name:	IMG_6181.JPG 
Size:	879.1 KB 
ID:	88426

Name:	IMG_6182.JPG 
Size:	745.4 KB 
ID:	88427

Have a great Memorial Day everyone!

Take care,

- Sir Fly

Hey guys, it's been awhile!

I haven't been able to work on the P 40 recently because school has been kicking my butt (finals this past week). However school is over now so I should have more time to work on the plane. Will keep updated!

- Sir Fly

Looks really nice so far mate. Keep up that effort and maker her bend to your will. Good luck on passing the finals too!
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBorg View Post
    Looks really nice so far mate. Keep up that effort and maker her bend to your will. Good luck on passing the finals too!
    Haha thanks man, although I don't have to worry about that anymore! Got the grades back and I am happy to say I did very well.

Congratz on the good grades then my friend good job!!
    BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Psyborg FPV You Tube channel.. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88...L6-KC9qTa2LgVA

So most of the work now is just sanding. I already have the tail surfaces sanded, so all that is left is to sand the fuselage and wing. I am going to try and sand all the parts by the end of the weekend, so I'll post pictures Sunday or Monday when I am ready to skin.

Speaking of skinning, does anyone have any experience skinning an airframe with tissue paper? I have heard you can do it with water, but the plans specify dope....any tips?

- Sir Fly

I use a UHU brand glue stick and 50% isopropyl alcohol to skin my planes in tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by TexMechsRobot View Post
    I use a UHU brand glue stick and 50% isopropyl alcohol to skin my planes in tissue.
    Hmm... haven't seen that before, but that seems easier. Thanks for the suggestion!

In the meantime I have finished sanding all of the airframe. Here's the picture:

Name:	20170618_184859.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	89538

Dont mind the foamboard in the back. It's a bf109 my friend and I are making at my house for him.
    Last edited by Sir Fly; 06-20-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Grammar :P

Yo guys! How's it going!

So as you probably have guessed, the going has been pretty slow on the plane. I haven't really been able to work on skinning the P-40 because a lot of things have been going on recently. Family vacations, other projects, and life in general has made it hard for me to continue work. However, with all that said, I am still planning on getting this bird in the air before the end of summer, so stay tuned!

Thanks for your patience,

- Sir Fly

Alright, so took a pause from the FTFC '18 Build-off and designing the V-173 Flying Pancake. Cracked down today and started skinning the airframe. So far, all is going well. The water is still drying on the elevator and battery hatch, but it looks like it's tightening up nicely. Once the rest of the airframe (wings and fuse) is skinned I'll apply the dope and harden the tissue. But again, very pleased with the progress and I was expecting it to be harder. All I needed was a glue stick, X Acto knife, and some water/alcohol solution and I was ready to go! Hopefully the wing will be done tomorrow and the fuselage the day after.

Name:	20170728_182244.jpg 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	91859

Name:	20170728_182317.jpg 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	91860

Name:	20170728_182359.jpg