Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Well I got impatient and made some rudimentary fuselage plans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planspreview.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	89345

Part of me wants to say I'm a copy-cat, but honestly I just need some good inspiration sometimes. Seeing the ingenuity and creativity at play makes me excited!

Here's my take on a fuselage:

- Allows for 6 inch chord wings. It's slim I understand, but it is easy to simply build a wing to reduce chord for attaching to the fuselage. This is so if I make it a motorglider-style plane with higher AR, I don't have an inch or two of exposed innards/awkward wing mount leftover.

- Rounded joints for extra strength. Been playing around with this idea in Solidworks. I usually have hard angles but I believe gently curving them should retain much more strength, particularly in lateral shearing of the fuselage. Think of how it's easy to bend a box out of shape- but curved edges should strengthen it for little cost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1200px-Shear_stress_simple.svg.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	89346

- Rear Fuselage "notch" should also improve that fuselage stiffness. It's not rounded because foamboard doesn't like to bend "outwards," as I don't want to remove paper on the outside of the plane. Thus the hard notches here and for the "cockpit" in the front.

pc_drawings - 3view.pdf
    Thoughtfulness makes planes fly!

Current(ish) fleet: (Dead) FT Arrow, Zipper (link), WIP Twin Wonder (link)

Could we get a few little inside details of the specs of the plane. I know I heard it mentioned in the video of using the B pack. What about fuse length and wingspan? It kinda looked like the wingspan was around 30" or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by basslord1124 View Post
    Could we get a few little inside details of the specs of the plane. I know I heard it mentioned in the video of using the B pack. What about fuse length and wingspan? It kinda looked like the wingspan was around 30" or close to it.
    I'm betting to keep it simple and one-piece, they'd use just 30" for the wing since that's the max width of the foamboard.
    Thoughtfulness makes planes fly!

Current(ish) fleet: (Dead) FT Arrow, Zipper (link), WIP Twin Wonder (link)

After reading the whole post, I have learned more about this topic. Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Datum View Post
    I'm betting to keep it simple and one-piece, they'd use just 30" for the wing since that's the max width of the foamboard.
    Most of there wings are two piece wings joined in the middle it's probably going to be closers to 40 inches
    That's not flying, that's just falling with style.

Building:200% FT Se5a
    Hangar: Fpv arrow,250 mini quad, NN Spitfire,1400mm Cub,
    R.I.P : FT Spitfire ,Swappble ME 109 ,FT Flyer,FT Mustang , FT Mini Scout, 1400mm Cub,FRC SU-37mk2 ,250 mini quad, mini guinea, blunt nose versa, swappble p-47

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flitetest View Post
    HEY everyone!

Just reading the comments and seeing the enthusiasm for this plane... GETS ME EXCITED and I have already seen the plane, flown the plane ETC! I LOVE the excitement around this plane from the community and we are hoping to be able to release it here by the end of the month.. HOPEFULLY! With that being said, everything you guys are saying is spot on... THIS is going to be a GREAT FT PLANE! ITS simple to BUILD, simple to FLY and simple to MOD! I am looking forward to seeing the CREATIONS that come from this design! ha You all are the reason behind this build too... we wanted something that could be built in under an hour or 1.5 hours, something that was easy to fly, but could be turned into something a bit more advanced if needed AND something that we knew ANYONE getting into the hobby could enjoy!
    Thanks for all you guys do and for inspiring us DAILY with all the work and effort you put into to make this hobby and these forums GREAT!

I will update you all if there are any "juicy" details that arise at any point!

Blessings,
    Stefan
    Thanks Stefan. I have been waiting for a good dtfb cub design. Can you tell me if it will resemble a J3 Pieper Cub? If so perfect! If not- Perfect- will convert it to a Cessna 182 then.
    "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Any landing that the airplane can be used once again is a great one."

Hi Everyone,

Any new news yet ? Is there any release date for the plans ? Come on Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby, Tubby Cubby,

Al

In yesterdays podcast they mentioned Monday is the day. Get your foam board ready.

I just bought me some crisp new sheets i've been waiting for a plane like this for a while. I thought the bushwacker would fit the bill but it turned out to be a little more 3d than I wanted. The table is cleared and the wife is aware so lets do this thing!!!

For those that can't wait, check out this thread which looks similar to me. Plane flies great!

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...d-Instructions

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast