Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good point, I wasn't thinking of the permanent magnet motors producing current while spinning. Pretty cool if the ESC does get some sort of feedback through the power leads. Now I want someone (not me ) to test it out to see what happens.

I would think that joining two motors to one ESC would work but you have no control. Each ESC powers a separate motor. Each motor changes speed depending on the direction you want to go. Pairing two motors means you wont have any control and that isn't safe. As far as I am aware the ESC's don't have feedback however I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by commandosqueak View Post
    I would think that joining two motors to one ESC would work but you have no control. Each ESC powers a separate motor. Each motor changes speed depending on the direction you want to go. Pairing two motors means you wont have any control and that isn't safe.
    This is on a fixed wing, not a multirotor

Old and Bold RC PILOT
    If you connect two brushless to one ESC then at best one motor would operate as per normal and the other would stutter and carry one. No two motors are identical and as the ESC generates a timed waveform the slight differences would mean one motor spins properly as prt the timed signal and the other with slightly different inductance values and other parameters would not "Catch ht ewave" and just flounder. Please note the current drawn would still be as expected from 2 motors though!

Should you manage to get the 2 motors into the air then the Back EMF generated from the lagging motor could actually be opposite in polarity to the driving signal voltage and you could actually overcurrent and damage the ESC.

The other reason that 2 motors are not connected to the one ESC you would have no method to adjust the throttle settings for differential thrust or be able to get equal thrust from each motor.

Just a few thoughts!

Have fun!

thanks everyone for the answers.
    Always remember this when you are struggling with something, "It is possible.....just not in a way you know yet".
    check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtx...o5Z9_6b-uVZpgQ

designs Bell P-39
    building D.520|Grumman XF5F|Grumman F-9

Just wondering... would it make sense to setup differential thrust on this setup? 2 ESC/motor pairs to separate channels? May be more trouble than it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by French View Post
    Just wondering... would it make sense to setup differential thrust on this setup? 2 ESC/motor pairs to separate channels? May be more trouble than it's worth.
    yes, but I have a 6ch receiver and this plane with have throttle, ailerons, elevator, rudder, flaps, retracts so I will be taking up all 6ch.
    Always remember this when you are struggling with something, "It is possible.....just not in a way you know yet".
    check out my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtx...o5Z9_6b-uVZpgQ

designs Bell P-39
    building D.520|Grumman XF5F|Grumman F-9

10-4

Quote Originally Posted by ElectriSean View Post
    I'm not positive about this, but I believe ESC's do receive timing feedback from the motor in the form of Back EMF generated by the motor.
    Spot on. I've seen a single ESC run two motors, but as soon as a little bump gets one motor out of sync, it'd fall apart and nothing would work until you sync them up again. They'd also have to be identical in KV, which is probably not something you want to bet on with hobby-grade motors.
    Ask me anything! Fixing problems is my side-hobby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2