Register | Help | Store Account | FliteTest Dashboard
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FT Micro Cruiser - balsa edition

Hey folks, I've been slowly getting back into the hobby, and despite still having a build log longer than my arm, I figured I should pay a little homage to FT for all the great content they've provided me. With that in mind, I offer the micro balsa version of the FT Cruiser.

Wingspan 12"
    1/32" balsa fuselage and tail
    1/16" balsa wing
    AeroAce 2 channel RX and 6mm motors (thrust differential steering)
    Empty weight 13.7g
    AUW w/50mah 16.3g

Just finished it tonight, fingers crossed for a nice day tomorrow for the maiden. Looks like it should fly quite well, though the 50mah is a bit too small so flight times will be short. Really like the look of this plane though, will be building a larger one eventually. Thanks, Flight Test!

Nick

Oh, I wasnt sure if I should post this here or somewhere else, if a moderator wants to move it to a more appropriate forum, thats ok by me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04.jpg   09.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg  
    Last edited by micro_builder; 06-24-2017 at 10:28 PM.

That's a thing of beauty! Please take a video of the maiden.

That really does look lovely! Tell us how it goes!
    Current (Working) Builds: Follow Footage RR Alien, Fun Foamies
    Current Projects: Scale Huey Head Scratch Build, FT3D

"Science is the systematic reduction of ignorance." - Adam Savage
    What are we hobbyists but scientists, learning and growing as we fail?

Wow how do you beat the beauty of wood grain. Nice craftsmanship! Please do post a flight video.
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Thanks guys, and thanks to Josh for the great design! Most of my builds are off basic 3 view drawings that I fiddle with in CorelDraw, having a nice set of plans helped a lot. I've done a small handful of foam models over the years, but am much more comfortable with balsa, especially at this size where foam usually fights me. No maiden today unfortunately, 25+mph winds, this thing would be gone in a heartbeat, but I'll certainly get some video for the maiden.

Nick

that's a beautiful build - can't wait to see the video!
    The table is my friend. The trees, not so much.

My hanger listing, build threads, conversion projects, and Taranis radio mods are Over Here....

Thanks! Unfortunately by the time the wind died down, it was pretty much dark outside. Maybe I can sneak in the maiden tomorrow morning before it picks back up.

Well, not the most graceful maiden I've ever had, but not the worst either. Thought the CG was right, but kept having to move it forward, eventually to the point where it was quite nose heavy, yet it would still pitch up with throttle. Didnt check the incidence, but I'm pretty sure it needs some down thrust on the motors.

The electronics didnt help either, its been a long time since I've used the AeroAce parts and have forgotten how slow they are to respond, the TX batteries were a bit low too and that didnt help. I may yank out the RX and put in the better 3 channel one that I have, but will adjust the motors and put in some new batteries and give it another go first. I lost one of the props at the end too...kind of a bummer as they're really nice for 6mm motors.

Think she's a keeper!

Nick

Last edited by micro_builder; 06-13-2017 at 06:04 AM.

To quote a Jimmy Buffet song, a little dab will do ya...of down thrust, that is. A sliver of 1/32" balsa under the back end of the motor and some fresh batteries in the TX and its much better, not to mention starting to remember how to properly fly an RC plane that doesnt have an elevator. Still might swap out the RX for a better one, but for now, I'm pleased.

Nick

2nd flight:
    Last edited by micro_builder; 06-13-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Ohh the elegance of wood grain! Nice build.
    Truths in life:
    1) Everything that happens happens for a reason. Luck does not exist.
    2) In this existence we are part of the problem or part of the solution. The choice is ours.
    3) We aren't defined by our circumstances but by our reactions to them. Crisis reveals character.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast